Hefeweizen Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerdude

Reaction score
Sounds fine to me for a very simple hefe recipe. I just plugged it into Beersmith out of curiosity and it came out clear but I would use the slightly lower amount of .85 oz of Tettnang like that recipe you linked to if your Tettnang is 4.5%. Probably wouldn't matter much if you used the full 1oz if you want to. If it's higher alpha percentage it would needed adjusting. As is quoted here it comes out to:

5.30% ABV
5.0 SRM
13.4 IBU

Basically all within limits. The alcohol is a tiny pinch more than the usual 4.5-5% but it's really no big deal. Go for it!!

*EDIT - Oh, and I typically do 2 weeks in the fermenter for a hefeweizen then bottle carb for 3 weeks.

Rev.

Are you planning on adding the yeast to boil? Pardon me if I am mis-understanding the original post. I would not recommend adding yeast to any liquid hotter than 80f (depending on strain). This will surely kill the yeast cells. Again pardon me if I mis-understood the original post.

Hi Rev.
US TETTNANG ALPHA 4.8% BETA 2.9% how does that make a difference?

Yes, I would reduce the Tettnang hops to 3/4oz (.75oz). By the way, cl330b above was asking just to make sure you don't plan on putting the yeast in the boil. I figure you know better than that of course yes? But there have been some ultra new brewers on here that didn't know any better so there's no harm in asking even as silly as it may sound.

Rev.

Of course I wouldn't put yeast in my boil , but I supposed my wording was vague. Thanks for the help. Any reccomendations on what to do with the extra hops ?

Of course I wouldn't put yeast in my boil , but I supposed my wording was vague. Thanks for the help. Any reccomendations on what to do with the extra hops ?

Sure, push the air out of the bag and fold it till it's tightly shut then put a strip of scotch tape across to keep it held closed and throw it in the freezer for future use. I have a fair amount of hops now in my freezer and when I made my recent hefe I didn't even have to order any hops, saved even more on my brew (not technically since I bought the hops in the past, but I still didn't need to buy fresh hops for this new batch). Always a good thing to have a bit of a collection going.

Rev.

you probably wont even notice the extra .25 oz if you added the full 1oz.

what about .75oz 60 min .25oz 10min? that would give you a little more hop aroma since the recipe is very simple (not a bad thing tho)

you probably wont even notice the extra .25 oz if you added the full 1oz.

what about .75oz 60 min .25oz 10min? that would give you a little more hop aroma since the recipe is very simple (not a bad thing tho)

That's a good idea, using the last .25oz near the end for aroma hops, but I have to disagree a bit about the .25oz not being noticeable for bittering. Hefeweizen is a pretty delicate beer and can beer affected with just a bit too much bitterness. I had one where I did just that, added a quarter ounce too much hops. The beer was quite drinkable and I liked it, however I'd wished I tamed down the hops just a tad for the perfect balance, the slight extra bitterness took away from the lovely banana/clove sweetness they're best known for. Again, it was subtle and you mostly only noticed it after downing the sip and having it sit on your tongue for a little while, but it was distracting.

Either way he'll be fine though if he puts it all in. But from personal experience brewing a number of hefe's (as they're my favorite beer) I'd opt on the side of caution and use less rather than more for this one. ;)

Rev.

Back