What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stuck in a hotel room in Pittsburgh, but I have 22 oz. bottles of Stone Arrogant Bastard, followed by a Stone Ruination IPA, then hitting the hay.

Cooking up some hops smoked chicken wings, and I cracked open a pleasant surprise. I am constantly on the prowl for commercial styles that SWMBO will like, so I picked one these up at World Mart today:

Buffalo Bill's Brewery

ORANGE BLOSSOM
A light ale with hints of fresh orange.
Brewed with sweet orange peel,
orange blossom extract & honey

Orange-Blossom.jpg

Really, REALLY nice. IMHO, it doesn't have that overly fake fruit extract taste like most citrus beers have like Blue Moon and Sunset Wheat.

It is a cream ale base....something I think I might try for this summer. Pretty impressive beer.

Wolf said:
Trois Pistoles

First Unibroue product I've had. More will definitely follow.
werd to that. That's one of my favs. Try their 15 and their 2005 before they run out. I'm still waiting on their 16.

right now i'm drinkin some Trader Joes hefeweizen. it's interesting, my roomate and i have been trying all their beers. They're like "style" beers. This is definitely a bavarian style hefe, but there's nothing different about it. it's like they take every recipe and just copy it to the letter, but purposely attempt to add nothing special or unusual into it. strange

Dude said:
Cooking up some hops smoked chicken wings, and I cracked open a pleasant surprise. I am constantly on the prowl for commercial styles that SWMBO will like, so I picked one these up at World Mart today:

Buffalo Bill's Brewery

ORANGE BLOSSOM
A light ale with hints of fresh orange.
Brewed with sweet orange peel,
orange blossom extract & honey

Orange-Blossom.jpg

Really, REALLY nice. IMHO, it doesn't have that overly fake fruit extract taste like most citrus beers have like Blue Moon and Sunset Wheat.

It is a cream ale base....something I think I might try for this summer. Pretty impressive beer.

My wife likes that one as well. It actually took me three of these on seperate days to decide I didn't really care for it, which to me says it's a good beer, just not my thing.

DeathBrewer said:
right now i'm drinkin some Trader Joes hefeweizen. it's interesting, my roomate and i have been trying all their beers. They're like "style" beers. This is definitely a bavarian style hefe, but there's nothing different about it. it's like they take every recipe and just copy it to the letter, but purposely attempt to add nothing special or unusual into it. strange
The TJ's beers are like that. They are pretty good examples of the style, but not the best example of the style. The price is great, though.

$4.99 for this six-pack :) it's almost gone, then i can dig into the Franziskaner i got there for like $6.99. TJs rocks :rockin:

btw, i'm drinking it with a broiled garlic and herb leg of lamb. nummy :)

Dude said:
it doesn't have that overly fake fruit extract taste like most citrus beers have like Blue Moon and Sunset Wheat.

Am I the only one that thinks fruit loops when I drink that sunset wheat? I really don't like it. Tastes like I'm drinking fruity pebbles or fruit loops when I intended to drink BEER. :confused:

drouillp said:
Am I the only one that thinks fruit loops when I drink that sunset wheat? I really don't like it. Tastes like I'm drinking fruity pebbles or fruit loops when I intended to drink BEER. :confused:

I've never had Sunset Wheat, but I have had Blue Moon, and I dispise it. I dunno if anyone else in my age group remembers this, but back in the early 90's, there was this gummy-fruit-snack craze. Maybe there still is, I wouldn't know. Anyway, my mom would always buy these "Gummy Sharks", and in each little pack, you'd get a bunch of smaller translucent sharks in various flavors, then there'd be one or two "great whites", which were larger and opaque white.

Blue Moon tastes like those great white gummy sharks. I'll never forget that flavor. Nasty stuff. :mad:

I personally like Blue moon, Not the greatest Wit, but not bad. Now sunset wheat, that **** is nasty, it should not be allowed to be called a beer.

i actually like blue moon.

sunset wheat tastes like a zima and fruity pebbles right out of a blender with an umbrella in the glass.

Right now drinking Bell's Big Porch Ale. Specifically brewed for Mackinac Island, great place. Good beer.

Also had SA White Ale, not too shabby. Nice on a hot day.

Just had Summit Extra Pale Ale......tasty brew........definately a 4 seasons type beer. It would be good in the summer or winter, maybe something like this would make a great house ale.

Ølfabrikken Porter - Rich robust porter from Denmark. 8% abv, chocolate, coffee, subtle smoke and leather. Very nice.

Tonight I had the bomber of the Arcadia Double IPA Harvest Ale...it was odd. It had a funky cloying sweetness that I thought detracted too much from the hops, because it was really bitter as well. I'd describe that sweetness as iced tea. Lagunitas tastes like that to me--it is a flavor I'm not fond of at all.

uwmgdman said:
Just had Summit Extra Pale Ale......tasty brew........definately a 4 seasons type beer. It would be good in the summer or winter, maybe something like this would make a great house ale.

I love that stuff. Does it leave an intersting sweetness on your lips/palate as an aftertaste?

Brewtopia said:
Ølfabrikken Porter - Rich robust porter from Denmark. 8% abv, chocolate, coffee, subtle smoke and leather. Very nice.

Man...that sounds good. You are a true beer snob, aren't you? :D

I was standing in a store about a month ago for 20 or so minutes until i saw a guy pick up a 6er of sunset wheat. I asked him if it was good as far as wheats go (im a sucker for wheats, but then again i spent a good amount of time in germany with my parents when i was younger and found them quite delicious). The guy said it was his favorite wheat beer....

Last time i ever trust the advice of the random guy at the beer cooler....

I got home and tried it, and could think of nothing other than froot loops, as some people said here before me.... Wasn't looking to go quite that far back into my childhood.....

just thought I would agree with that, and mention it was the first thought i had too when I tried it....

Oh, and I do like blue moon...

Man...that sounds good. You are a true beer snob, aren't you?

lol...I try man, I try.

I just got home from Stix Brewery where a buddy and I assisted in brewing a smoked porter a few weeks ago. Had to stop in tonight and try it out. Wow, it came out great! 800 lbs of grain total. 125 lbs of beechwood smoked malt and 15 lbs of peat smoked malt. They said I can come back with a corny and fill it as payment for helping out! :rockin:

blue27343 said:
I got home and tried it, and could think of nothing other than froot loops

nope I thought of fruity pebbles myself....

I agree this beer SUCKED! I've got 4 left over from the sampler pack I bough...I drank 1 and this friend of a friend drank the other....dude said he liked it, I should have just given him the rest

Brewtopia said:
lol...I try man, I try.

I just got home from Stix Brewery where a buddy and I assisted in brewing a smoked porter a few weeks ago. Had to stop in tonight and try it out. Wow, it came out great! 800 lbs of grain total. 125 lbs of beechwood smoked malt and 15 lbs of peat smoked malt. They said I can come back with a corny and fill it as payment for helping out! :rockin:

That freaking rocks! How'd you score that deal?

(Drinking coffee again, damnit. finally moved in, need to commence brewing.)

That freaking rocks! How'd you score that deal?

The head brewer is a good buddy of mine. It's been great fun brewing on a 7 bbl system.

Right now I'm drinking...

Gavroche French Red Ale. I've always loved the beers from this brewery (Brasserie de St. Sylvestre, St. Sylvestre France) but this is the first time I've tried Gavroche. Sweet malt up front, spicy and alcoholic with hints of raisins and dates. Very little hop profile. St. Sylvestre is located in the Flanders region of France but this beer is much sweeter than its Belgian counterpart. Other stand out beers from this brewery are 3 MONTS and BIÈRE DE NOËL.

Stone Ruination.

I am officially ruined. This is good stuff!

EDIT:
Interesting. Ruination actually got WORSE as time went by. The first few sips were simply amazing. By the time I finished my second glass, it was still good, but it had a pronounced alcohol bite, and I really didn't want any more of it. I would definitely buy it again, but it's way too strong to drink more than a 22 oz bomber of it.

I ate dinner and moved on to Sierra Nevada's Stout - my first experience with anything by them other than their famed Pale Ale (that I don't particularly like). The stout is good. It's not great. It's quite roasty, but it's a bit thin on the palate. A creamier feel would go a long way in improving it. SN Porter was also for sale, but I didn't buy it tonight - I'll have to try it sometime. SN Celebration has been elusive - I really want to try it, but I've never seen it anywhere.

Anybody try Iron City Light? It's not bad for an American light lager. It actually has a LITTLE flavor! I bought it because it came in cool 12 oz aluminum bottles, and I'm presently enamoured with metal bottles and their possibilities.

Pro-Arnold_Palmer.jpg

Yuri_Rage said:
Anybody try Iron City Light? It's not bad for an American light lager. It actually has a LITTLE flavor! I bought it because it came in cool 12 oz aluminum bottles, and I'm presently enamoured with metal bottles and their possibilities.

Pro-Arnold_Palmer.jpg
Are the labels painted or paper?

Yuri_Rage said:

I'm really hoping to see aluminum bottles start to be offered by the homebrew suppliers. They open up alot of possibilities, the biggest one being a better way to take brew to outdoor activities.

Dude said:
Are the labels painted or paper?
They're painted. My plan is to bead blast them clean on the outside, then anodize or powder coat them. For a simpler solution, you could sand and paint them, or just leave the bare aluminum look and stick a label to 'em.

a three year old mead (my first) LOVE the honey after taste maybe another year and this $#!^ is going to rock. Just got done filtering 24 gallons and DAMN I cant wait for another brew day!
JJ

Sipping some St. Peter's (from suffolk, Eng) IPA. Not very bitter, but very nice. I've had some of their other brews and they do a nice job of subtle carbonation so it feels very smooth in your mouth. Nice slow bitterness that stays on the back of your tongue. Aroma and flavor of EKG? I think. Has the Burton type yeast flavor. Malt presence is solid but in the background. I like it a lot. Too bad it's an expensive import!! I'll have to try to clone it.

Monk

Dude said:
Right now I've got a SN IPA 2007. I'm just not a big fan of this one. Wasn't impressed with the 06 either. Kind of harsh, and really dry.

Bought a sixer of this and disliked it, too. Ditto on the harsha and dry. And I'll add, "boring". I'm not a drinker constantly seeking huge IPAs. I get a big IPA maybe once a month. But this one just seemed really one-dimensional. Alesmith's Yuletide was the bomb.

monk

The last of my Pete's Wicked Clone. Pete is dead. Long live Pete!

Hobgoblin

Pours a nice amber with some red hints and an off white head

Aroma is malty and a little floral

Flavor is very balanced, slightly towards the hop bitterness, but still malty. Not overtly sweet, but good malt flavour. Medium to full body with earthy bittering hops lingering on the tongue. I can detect a little bit of stale cardboard in the flavor, but not too much. Still very drinkable.

Orfy I can see why you like it so much. It's gotta be even better when it hasn't traveled 8,000 miles to get to me.

Bridgeport Blackstrap Stout

Its very good has a nice mouthfeel, (SWMBO picked it out when she was at the store all by herself, I was very impressed) and before that I had a 4 pack of Boddingtons, I went surfing so I wanted something refreshing.

Golden Valley's Geist Bock. Sweet, roasty, and buttery, with some herbal hop flavor. German-Style Heller Bock/Maibock

Followed by a BRR/Mild pint & some bananananana bread. Or something like that.

Back