Clear glass bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcannon46609

Reaction score
I recently was given several cases of clear glass bottles that used to be Corona from a friend who had switched to kegging. I was just wondering if the clear bottles would be suitable for my beers or what uses I might have for them.

Thanks Again!

I recently was given several cases of clear glass bottles that used to be Corona from a friend who had switched to kegging. I was just wondering if the clear bottles would be suitable for my beers or what uses I might have for them.

Thanks Again!

Yes! If you are making a skunky Corona or Heineken clone!

(Or if you just keep them our of sunlight).

Recently I took a gravity reading of a Belgian Wit. I set the hydrometer stand on the counter to work out the residual carbonation, and it was probably there for less than 20 minutes. I took a whiff, as I was going to decide whether or not to grab a quick taste from the sample, and was greeted with a very noticeable skunky aroma. It doesn't take long.

When I bottled, I liked to have one or two clear bottles for each batch. I'm a visual type of person, and it helped me remember what what I had bottled. I also liked seeing the sediment at the bottom. It reminded me that I really needed to thoroughly wash each bottle!

Anyway, I would recommend that you box them to keep out any light. If you still have the Corona box, use it. IIRC Corona bottles won't fit in most other boxes.

When I bottled, I liked to have one or two clear bottles for each batch. I'm a visual type of person, and it helped me remember what what I had bottled. I also liked seeing the sediment at the bottom. It reminded me that I really needed to thoroughly wash each bottle!

Anyway, I would recommend that you box them to keep out any light. If you still have the Corona box, use it. IIRC Corona bottles won't fit in most other boxes.

While washing my collection of used bottle I came across a clear one that I got from a friend. I thought using one per batch to keep an eye on would be a pretty cool thing.

Bottles are bottles. Use them!! I have used many Corona and New Castle bottles. They were free...I was happy. As stated...keep them in a dark place.

Clear bottles are fine as log as you keep them in the dark when the beer is carbonating.

Yes, but also keep them in the dark after that! The fridge preferable.

If you're planning on consuming these inside of a month it shouldn't be an issue. They aren't ideal though.

Too many brown bottles available out there to worry about keeping clear glass ones. I've got some Grolsch clear glass 12 oz. for yeast archiving, but the rest of mine (about 500) are mostly an incredible assortment of 12 oz. commercial non-returnables. Some of the new "craft beer lites" like Michelob and Bud now bottle in pry-offs....just got a case of those. Nice bottles, too bad the beer isn't better.

Latest posts

Back