Freezing wine???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kb2kir

Reaction score
Hi, I am in the process of making a Spagnols red zin kit.
The guy that runs the HBS in my area says to run the racked wine down to 8 degrees F for a day, thaw, then bottle.
This I'm told is to clarify and remove the tannins by having them settle out during thawing.....
Since this is my first batch I have followed the instructions to the letter up to this point. Today would bottling day if I continued following the instructions.
Any thoughts from the more experienced folks ????
Joe

Well, chilling the wine does help clarify it.

However, this kit should have all the clarifiers you need. I wouldn't want to remove any tannins- the kit is well balanced and probably a bit low in tannins anyway. That might work better with grapes, not a kit, that need some adjustment.

The kit should have the proper balance of acids, tannins, etc, so you shouldn't mess around with it.

Wow,
Thanks for the FAAAAAAAAST reply YooperBrew......
I'll go ahead and bottle.
As with anything I'm unsure of, I like to get a few opinions from the folks that actually do this stuff.
Ruining a $65.00 kit would be bad.

I agree- and trust me, those kits are hard to ruin! They really are complete, and don't need any tinkering. That's one of the reasons I like them!

Those "cheaper" kits make a decent table wine, and I think you'll be happy with it. I'd liken the final result to a $5-$8 bottle of wine.

Latest posts

Back