Allergic to beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastwood44mag

Reaction score
I think I may have an allergy to beer. For some reasons, certain varieties always give me a headache, even before the first bottle is done (case in point: Pete's Wicked Ale). Most varieties don't, however. Anyone care to speculate as to what might cause it? My guess is something in the hops.

A homebrewer who can't drink beer. Ironic, isn't it?

I get headaches when nursing a few over the course of the day, it could just be your level of hydration. Try drinking some water before you start drinking the beer.

is it always the same varity? Like if everytime you drink Pete's Wicked you get the headache or only sometimes?
NM - re red your post . . . Ima tard

Flyin' Lion said:
I get headaches when nursing a few over the course of the day, it could just be your level of hydration. Try drinking some water before you start drinking the beer.

If I keep both a beer and a glass of water in front of me, and drink about equal amounts of both, I have to piss twice as much but I never get a hangover.

Pop an Excedrine prior to going to bed and drink a large glass of water. Do you smoke? I haven't had a hangover headache since I quit smoking (8 freaking months now! Yeah!). Usually the headache is caused by dehydration, except in the case of when you smoke. Nicotine contracts the blood vessels, so a lot of drinking and smoking leads to headaches.

Possible allergic causes:
Maybe a hop or yeast variety.
Maybe sulfides (especially if you have the same problem with red wine)
Maybe it’s a specific grain, like rye, that isn’t present in most beers.

I doubt it would be Celiac, unless you get similar problems with breads and pasta.

It may not be an allergy at all. Your body may just react differently to certain ingredients or certain quantities of ingredients in drinks. I get headaches when I drink hard lemonades and most vodka martinis. It doesn't have anything to do with dehydration of the amount I've consumed.

I get more of a headache from hoppy IPA's which is what I drink more often than other styles. It's either the hops for me or that I like them too much and over-indulge!

eastwood44mag said:
certain varieties always give me a headache, even before the first bottle is done (case in point: Pete's Wicked Ale).
You've obviously noticed which brands/varieties affect you. Have you tried to narrow down ingredients further or had problems with other food stuff as per feedthebear's post? Or just avoid the 'certain varieties' and KEEP BREWING YOUR OWN! :D

On feeling sh*te after a few beers I've found hydration levels BEFORE you start drinking alcohol can be a big part in getting headaches. Feeling thirsty is of course the first obvious sign that you're already de-hydrated! Drinking higher ABV drinks of any kind on top of dehydration is a no no - for me high hop levels in beer will make it even worse :(

Can you determine if its a sinus headache? Thats what I always seem to get if I'm going to get one from drinking... probably a hydration thing. Other than drinking water, the best thing I've found is a few shots of Afrin up each nostril as soon as I notice it.

My wife swears she is allergic to beer. No headaches though, apparently it's projectile vomiting instead. The only thing I can think that she might be allergic to is the hops, which is a valid allergy.

She refuses to test my theory by drinking one of my gruits or meads. I am beginning to suspect that she just has a low opinion of anything I brew.

Allergy or not, it's more beer for me.

Back