Newcastle Oddity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gremlyn

Reaction score
So I have two bottles of Newcastle sitting in my fridge right now, they are a little on the 'old' side, maybe 3-4 months. I took one out to enjoy this evening and saw that there is a sediment at the bottom, looking very micro-organism-ish. Just wondering if anyone else had seen this before, I was under the impression that Newcastle was pasteurised so nothing should be growing in there.

I guess I could just crack one open and find out...:mug:

Never seen it in a bottle of Newcastle. Does it look like the sediment on the bottom of a bottle of homebrew? Got a pic?

No pics, but I can do that this evening. Since I've not finished my first homebrew, I can't say whether it looks like that or not yet ;)

As for the gushing, I found that they have been doing that a lot lately. It seems much worse if the beer was ever stored on its side. It's scientifically to do with the extra surface area of the beer while lying down equilibrating more CO2 into empty space, and when you stand it up and crack it open it doesn't have enough time to solubilise back into the beer and comes flying out the top. If you are lying them down, stand it back up for an hour prior to drinking and it might lessen the explosion.

Back