Star Trek or Star Wars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Sheilds" lol. Sounds made up.

I prefer the gritty meat hook realities of BSG where they have to solve problems or take it on the nose.

Unlike star trek, where they just put up their shields, or call upon some amazon women, or reverse the polarity on their toasters all at the exact same moment.

No I think that when Kirk arrived in "reality", his shields would not function.

Shields, or at very minimum a deflector are necessary for near relativistic speeds. Wouldn't want a micro meteor going through your engine now would you?

Shields, or at very minimum a deflector are necessary for near relativistic speeds. Wouldn't want a micro meteor going through your engine now would you?

Exactly. Even dust-sized particles are catastrophic at that speed.

Star Trek ships are capable of surpassing c though, supposedly by traveling through "hyperspace", which I assume refers to wormholes and/or folds of space-time. I'm not sure what the actual implications of that are, though.

Exactly. Even dust-sized particles are catastrophic at that speed.

Star Trek ships are capable of surpassing c though, supposedly by traveling through "hyperspace", which I assume refers to wormholes and/or folds of space-time. I'm not sure what the actual implications of that are, though.

Star trek uses warp to surpass c. The ship never goes faster than the speed of light within the warp field. What they do, and this is the current popular thinking of how to travel faster than c, is shrink the space in front of the ship and expand space behind it. Thus the ship never travels faster than light from its perspective.

Now later on with the Borg and in Voyager they use things like transwarp conduits which are like artificial wormholes. Also the USS Excelsior experimented with transwarp drive which uses some other method to travel faster than c.

Anyone see this?

182013142272.jpg

That chart is about to change as I read that SW life action series is going to start up in the near future. Now that Disney has ownership they can figure out a way to make it work (hopefully).

It won't change the end result, though.

That chart is about to change as I read that SW life action series is going to start up in the near future. Now that Disney has ownership they can figure out a way to make it work (hopefully).

It won't change the end result, though.

That is why the chart is flawed.

One epic, perfect movie would lose if they didn't sell toys and video games.

Lol, nope won't keep a pos from being a pos.

Yeah, I agree. It's a bigger/more popular chart, not necessarily a better chart. If the same were applied to beer, BMC would be a mountain compared to craft beer.

Obviously both are based on an AWESOME premise.

BSG is an anomoly, where the premise was OK, but the reincarnation is Amazing.

Just read JJ Abrams was confirmed as the director for Star Wars VII. That's crazy! Star Trek and Star Wars?

Mormons??lol. I couldn't get past 10 minutes of the original. It SUCKS!!!!

It was cool to see how many nods and consistencies there were with the original in the new BSG, but it is a much different show.

LOL!!!

I'd love to see Whedon do something. Not sure if it's SW, but I love most of his stuff lately.

I'm REALLY not sure about Abrams. I think it would be a disservice to compare his future Star Wars work with what he's already done. I think you have to give the man a chance to do what he can do with it. Other than Michael Bay, most directors can do different things.

And I thought Abrams was great in the ST movies.

Also you have to compare what the future SW films might be compared with what the most recent 3 were like. I think I have reason to be hopeful.

Or Zach Snyder? Slow mo force push... Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuwwoomp! That's the sound it makes.

As long as we are throwing out names, I'd love to see a Quentin Tarantino SW. Did you know that on Tatooine they call a Big Mac a Juicy Hutt?

If Joss Whedon had directed Star Wars, all of the Storm Troopers would have dropped dead after the Death Star was destroyed. Not sure I can stand behind that for a new episode.

What about James Cameron?
Stormtroopers could all be 9ft tall and blue kind of like smurfs on hyper growth hormone!

I'd say Star Wars. Just way more stuff going on like the vehicles, weapons and THE FORCE!

I love Whedon and everything he's done, but I don't know that I'd want him doing such a loved franchise as Star Wars. He did well with Avengers I think, but Whedon normally shines with his own universe. And that normally means something you love is going to die.

I.E. (spoiler alert to Netflix users):
Buffy: Anya, Buffy (several times), Tara, Joyce (Buffy's mom), Jenny Calendar, Kendra, Spike (back in Angel)
Angel: Wesley, Gunn, Doyle, Fred, Cordelia
Firefly/Serenity: Sheperd, Wash
Dollhouse: Topher, November
Cabin in the Woods: absolutely everybody

I do however want to see Whedon either do the Thrawn trilogy or Krytos Trap series, especially Krytos. I think he'd be better with a lesser known set of characters and a government conspiracy.

So I heard some news outlet today talking about Abrams being the next director of Star Wars, and one of the anchors said something to the effect of, "Star Wars fans hate Star Trek fans and vice versa". That's actually one of the reasons I started this thread. I love Star Trek, but think Star Wars is excellent too. Sure my loyalties lie with Starfleet, but I can definitely acknowledge the great story Star Wars has to offer. I don't hate Star Wars at all. I wanted to see what this forum thought on the matter, and we're almost to 300 posts and not a belligerent word has been said. Sure we all share a common hobby...maybe we aren't indicative of the population as a whole. Maybe homebrewers are more level headed people.

Anyway, I originally posted this thread to drunken ramblings for a reason. I love brewing and drinking my own beer and I love Star Trek.

Back