Can sediment be eliminated ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtrogers14

Reaction score
I am wondering, is there a way to eliminate all sediment in your bottles ? If not, why is there none in commercial beers ?

There is in bottle conditioned commercial beers. Because in order to have a BOTTLE CONDITIONED BEER, you have to have yeast present. And if you have yeast, you have sediment.

Commercial breweries that don't bottle condition their beers force carb them under pressure then fill the bottles with counterpressure bottle fillers.

The same as a homebrewer force carbing in a keg then using a beer gun or other counterpressure filler to fill the bottles. That's how you get sediment-free bottles.

As long as you naturally carb, though, you have to have yeast, and those yeast propogate as they eat your priming sugar and produce the CO2 that causes carbonation, then fall out of suspension, creating the sediment at the bottom of each bottle. No sediment = no natural carb!!

Here's a rough list of commercial beers with sediment in it....You'll find overall that there's probably MORE beer on this planet with sediment in it, than without....

Commercial Beer Yeast Harvest List

Get over your fear, if you haven't had bottle conditioned microbrews, then you are missing out on the world's greatest beers.

Even with month long primaries, or using a secondary, you will have some sediment in the bottles It's in all bottle conditioned beers, homebrew and otherwise.

That is the yeast sediment from carbonating your bottles. It is nearly impossible to avoid, and so what? It is some of the most healthy stuff on the planet. The belgians worship it.

It's just that for the last 150 years or so Americans have been conditioned by the BMC brewers to pretty much know only about fliltered crystal clear light lagers. With little or no flavor.

Until the 80's with the rise of craft breweries and great import availability of beers from around the world, you didn't see many commercial beers with sediment in it.

And if you've only been exposed to BMC's then you're not going to know or understand about bottle conditioned or living beers. Especially also if you've consumed said beers in the bottle.

We get folks like that on here all the time, who think there is something wrong because their beer has sediment in it, or want to filter it out. It's really a culture thing, you don't so much of that in the rest of the beer world. Like the hefeweizen...that is swimming in yeasty beasties...

Read this for more info On bottle yeast. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/anyone-using-filter-bottling-123758/#post1379528

And then watch this video;

Once you learn to pour to the shoulder, it really doesn't matter.

My beers pour crystal clear, AND have a little yeast in the bottles.....I win contests, and the judges inevitibally comment on it's clarity. And half the time I forget to use moss.

Learn to love the yeast!!!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
While all bottle conditioned beers have some sediment, there is a lot of murky homebrew being served. If you are getting too much sediment in your bottles, you'll need to clear your beer better before bottling. The easiest way to do that is to just give it a bit more time for gravity to clear it up before racking. If you can crash cool, you'll speed that process along considerably. You should end up with a thin coating of yeast on the bottom - not something resembling a swamp.

All my beers have sediment in the bottle. All but one or 2 have no sediment in the glass. I bottle condition 4 weeks in the back of my bedroom closet. The yeast cake (sedimant) compacts at the bottom of the bottle. I can almost always upend the bottle completely with no sediment. You aren't drinking from the bottle, are you? Color and head are as important to the beer experience as taste.

I drank Shock Top and Blue Moon both brewed by major breweries, Anheuser-Busch and Coors respectively.
They are both Belgian Wit and both have sediment. in fact the decanting instruction on the Shock Top tell you to leave 1/2" of beer in the bottle to slosh around and then poor that into the glass, sediment and all to release the full flavor.

IF you're getting too much sediment into your glass, try chilling the bottles longer. Go 5-7 days, or longer, in the fridge before you pour into the glass. Then make sure you pour it all at one go, so that you don't stir up the sediment cake in the bottom of the bottle.

Otherwise, keg your beer, force carbonate with CO2 (not priming with sugar) and then bottle from keg. I keg my beers now, but I also bottle some to take to family members, or when going someplace where I want to bring my brew with me. It doesn't take much effort to do this, and (IMO) is worth doing. I had thought that I would bottle half of batches and keg the other half, but that only lasted for about two batches. Since then, I've been simply kegging it all and bottling what I want to give other people. If someone comes over and wants to take some of my brew home, it's just a matter of the time needed to go through the bottling process, from tap, and it's done. Maybe 30 minutes from start to finish, including time to chill the sanitized bottles.

You can get a kegging system and a set of filters, one around 2 microns and one around 0.3 microns. Push the beer through both filters, force carbonate, and bottle using something like a beergun.

You can get a kegging system and a set of filters, one around 2 microns and one around 0.3 microns. Push the beer through both filters, force carbonate, and bottle using something like a beergun.

IME filtering is completely unnecessary. I pick up zero sediment from the fermenter when transferring into serving kegs. When I clean out the serving kegs, there's very little in the bottom of them (below the dip tube level). I only get that small amount due to the temperatures the kegs are at when in the brew fridge.

I think the top has something of a stand built into it so the bottles stay upright fairly well on their own. When I was first looking into starting to home brew, I was watching the craigtube videos on youtube, and he did an episode on those thought it was pretty neat.

Back