2 Gallons in 5 Gallon Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal simmons

Reaction score
I've recently started brewing some two-gallon test batches to try out some new recipes before making a larger batch. I've been fermenting them in a 5 gallon carboy since it's the smallest i've got. Should I be worried about all the headspace? Should I be careful about how long I leave these batches in primary/secondary with that amount of headspace? I haven't actually bottled any of these small batches yet, but i've got two batches in carboys right now. Just wondering if I should invest in a couple 3 gallon carboys or not.

For primary fermentation, you'll be fine as the headspace will fill up quickly with CO2. When transferring to a secondary, if there is any way you can purge the container with CO2 first, I recommend doing just that. No worries though, I'm sure it will be fine either way.

You could look into getting some 3 gal Better Bottles if you plan to brew 2 gallon batches often.

So basically as long as I don't transfer to secondary, i'll be OK? I wasn't planning on using a secondary for any of these batches, but some of them might stay in primary for a month or so.

You could leave it in a primary for a month without any problems, but you can still use a secondary because there will still be some outgassing.

I ferment on the floor and rack from a counter top.

If you place your carboy at the location (height) you will be racking from you will eliminate any jostling (and rousing) of the fallen yeast which will keep the brew clear thus working to your advantage. :D

Would this be true for lagers too as I believe they don't ferment as rapidly as ales?

pretty much. A standard gravity beer (around 1.040) will produce about 60 gallons of co2 for every gallon of beer. How fast? I don't know, All the O2 won't be displaced, some of it will end up in the fermentation, but remember unless you are using O2, just about every beer is under aerated at the start.

Long and short, I'd not worry about it.

Try boiling down to just under 2 gallons and get a 2 gallon paint bucket from HD. That is what I use. Although nothing wrong w/your 5 gallon primary.

Latest posts

Back