Coopers Real Ale - Violent Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deofol

Reaction score
Just thought I would share this. I've been brewing pretty steady for the last year or so and have never had this happen before! I mean, never had a beer fill the headspace of my minibrew and blow the lid off. Pretty interesting.

IMG_0254.jpg

That was about 24 hours after pitching the yeast. I did the kit a little different than usual. I didn't boil, and followed the instructions on the kit. Ie. Brought 2lts of water to boil, took off stove, added the hopped extract and 2lbs DME, mixed with cold water up to 5 gallons in the primary, and pitched the yeast. The temp was pretty warm, I would say about 90 degrees.

Wow... I don't know if the DME sugars are different when they are not boiled or the pitching temp got the yeast very active but after 2 days there is no longer activity. The reading last night was .010 and the results are dry and actually very good for a young beer. Very little to no fruity esters wich are usualy common in this kit (at least from my previous brews of it).

Plan on double checking the readings tonight, and kegging if it looks fine. Laggering and carbing for a week. Wow, from extract to keg in less than 2 weeks. :rockin:

I don't get it...why did you put insulation on the top of your fermenter? :D

Seriously though, is that really krausen? I've never seen it that thick...looks like a big ole root beer float in your fermenter!

I know right! The texture was very odd. Felt like slimy wet cotton. /shivers

But whatever works.... lol

90 degrees?
pretty cool pic.. nice conical.
how hard is it to use? I was thinking of doing that....

I am brewing on a much smaller scale then you but I just had the same thing happen to me. I have never heard so much noise coming from my fermenter and when I went to check it I had pretty much the same thing going on that you caught there.

After bottling did it turn out OK? I was going to try and bottle today in hopes that the batch will turn out fine.

High temps = violent fermentation. How long does it say/were you planning to leave this in the fermenter? With that, I would recommend a week longer then recommended, just to let the yeast finish doing their thing.

That is amazing though...

Wow, I'm doing a Coopers Real ale brew at the moment, been 24hrs in the tub and as I am typing this I am listening to it bubble away, quite neat as the last brew I did hardly showed any action at all and was brewed a couple of degrees warmer. I am a bit worried now as after seeing your pic I am paranoid as to what happen overnight!!

Ok, starting to panic, foam is flowing out the airlock!! what is my best option? making a bit of a mess on top of the fermenter, keep cleaning it but it is relentless, whats the tinfoil thing or is it too late for this? its night time so too late to run to the local shop, any suggestions?

Crisis now over (i think!), bit of a mess but nothing like the pic above, action seems to have settled down, I just used the yeast with the kit, seems like its pretty active.

Back