Scrat's Keezer Bar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And the finished product....

image-3102352920.jpg

image-3546039908.jpg

image-1589102204.jpg

image-2760797691.jpg

Any chance you could make a video on how you're attaching the tap line through the lid and into the coffin box?I saw the previous post, but I'm not sure I get it.

Malric said:
Any chance you could make a video on how you're attaching the tap line through the lid and into the coffin box?I saw the previous post, but I'm not sure I get it.

I can do that. I'll try to get a video up soon.

Today got the inside are of the bar framed including the chest freezer pull out side skinned.

image-3223048477.jpg

image-1670626096.jpg

image-3556659348.jpg

image-1145146079.jpg

image-2487877644.jpg

image-3891152248.jpg

image-2010400351.jpg

Need some opinions. For the backsplash of the counter side I'm debating between having more granite installed, tile, or beer pop tops.

What are the opinions on which route to go ?

I would so some kind of colorful tile back splash. I think the bottle caps would take away from the
Awesome job you did.

Or diamond plate. I would look into plain though. Easier to clean and would look better with the granite in my opinion

The small 1 inch square tiles in a multi shade colour of your choice look pretty good. Put them as my back splash. Are you putting a bar counter top on ?? if so you will hardly see the back splash anyway.

One more question. Are you putting any hydro outlets up there in the back splash ?? Worth their weight in gold in my opinion....oh and any under counter lighting ?? wise to put that in while you still have some access left.

kenmyfam said:
One more question. Are you putting any hydro outlets up there in the back splash ?? Worth their weight in gold in my opinion....oh and any under counter lighting ?? wise to put that in while you still have some access left.
What are hydro outlets ? I have thought about lighting under the bar but probably will add that later if I want as I'm trying to keep cost down now as I'm over budget. I will be putting a serving top on but will be doing that last.

What are hydro outlets ? I have thought about lighting under the bar but probably will add that later if I want as I'm trying to keep cost down now as I'm over budget. I will be putting a serving top on but will be doing that last.

Electrical outlets I meant. Sorry for any confusion.

I can do that. I'll try to get a video up soon.

Today got the inside are of the bar framed including the chest freezer pull out side skinned.

3/4" plywood with 1" trim? Am I seeing that correctly? How is your airflow under the cabinet? (Some other posts have talked about freezers cooling through the sides.)

Just curious

johndejoie said:
3/4" plywood with 1" trim? Am I seeing that correctly? How is your airflow under the cabinet? (Some other posts have talked about freezers cooling through the sides.) Just curious

The skins are actually 1/2" trim is alittle more than 1". I have on average 3" spaces between the freezer and skins all the way around. On the side near the L bend of the bar that side of the freezer is fully open to about 3 ft. Of open space.

From things I've read just a little bit of spacing between the skins and the freezer sides should be enough to prevent it from over heating since wood is not a good insulater. I guess only time will tell for sure though. However I do have room to add a fan that could blow air across the freezer under the counter if need be.

I'm open to thoughts and opinions before I get too far into this to make changes....which I'm probably approaching quickly.

And started to put the table top and bar rail on. Unfortunately...expensive mistake....miss cut one bar rail and will have to order another.

image-1616949048.jpg

We recessed the coffin box about 6"

image-1616949048.jpg

Table top is 18". Roughly 8" on serving side. With screws going into the framing this thing is very stable and we won't need any braces or corbels.

image-457645435.jpg

Another shot of the recessed box. This took the majority of the time today as we wanted it as flush as possible.

image-2087143254.jpg

This bar rail looks great...but ain't cheap. I bought it online at hardwoods incorporated.com

image-3473893838.jpg

You can see here we have two pieces of ply stacked for the top. Both are. 3/4" thick . As you can see one is 1&1/19" of an inch longer this is so the bar rail sits flush - tong and groove.

Attachments

• image-2169814419.jpg
    image-2169814419.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,007
  • image-3119135075.jpg
    image-3119135075.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,057
We'll I think it's down tithe home stretch. Got the bar rail teaches today and finished some trim work. Now all we really have left is a few more cots of stain and then poly.

image-1947394841.jpg

Finished look at the shelving. It measures about 19" in between shelves as from what I've read online that will be ample space for wine and liquor bottles... Thought I don't drink that stuff so who knows if it will ever get stocked.

image-1027550146.jpg

Quick look at the tap box and where I'll be mounting the taps.

image-39048825.jpg

Here we cut in half the 1x4's we had been using to trim the bar. We then used a router to bevel the edge. This trimmed out the inside of the bar concealing then ply-wood counter top.

image-1544204238.jpg

And another look. Just need to stain.

image-1526044675.jpg

And finally after missing a cut and wasting 100 bucks....new bar rail delivered and attached = great success!

Finished all the staining. All I have left is to still the holes for the shanks, and lacquer this bad boy.

image-1782969707.jpg

I think the trim we cut to hide the plywood looks really good.

Attachments

• image-3445174456.jpg
    image-3445174456.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,169
  • image-2392777371.jpg
    image-2392777371.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,158
  • image-2080617795.jpg
    image-2080617795.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,204
And it's finished....it debuted in Thanksgiving an was received well by all the family. Here are some final photos.

So far the freezer is maintaining temps great and not cycling too much so the seal we made is working. The other initial concern I had was the weight of the fully loaded chest freezer on the slides and that hasn't been a problem either. I think those slides are definitely rated to 225 per slide not 225# for the set . That's all I can think of for now but If you have any questions on the build please let me know as I would be happy to help.

image-126668850.jpg

image-1693956628.jpg

image-1820033323.jpg

image-3873297876.jpg

image-846127404.jpg

image-1247995956.jpg

image-2285138978.jpg

image-2187880294.jpg

image-2917543378.jpg

Do you have any pictures of the coffin removed with the freezer pulled out to gain access to the kegs?

Would like to see how it all looks now that it's all finished.

Thanks man.....looks great.

Black_Z28 said:
Do you have any pictures of the coffin removed with the freezer pulled out to gain access to the kegs? Would like to see how it all looks now that it's all finished. Thanks man.....looks great.

image-3322636820.jpg

Here's a look inside the coffin box. This is standard view and ready for pouring so to speak. Te PVC pipe goes through the sub top and about 6 inches into the keezer under the counter.

image-20296681.jpg

Here is a shot of the pipe pulled out of place. I have to release this up into the coffin each time I want to pull out the freezer. Since the PVC extends through the counter sub top and into the Chet freezer it serves as a locking mechanism

image-2777993096.jpg

Same shot different views. You can see the freezer hole roughly 1 inch below the sub top

image-760259907.jpg

Here's the chest freezer pulled out. Once I release the PVC pipe there is enough give in the 10ft beer line to extend out.

image-2810219338.jpg

A look to see the spacing between the chest freezer and counter top

image-2870988746.jpg

And opened to change kegs or pressure.

Hope this helps if not let me know and I'll try to snap more pictures.

Sorry this is such a random question, but how is the slide holding up to the weight of the keezer? I am in the middle of building my bar and am worried about the weight of my freezer. My freezer is bigger than yours, and weighs about 120 lbs empty. I'm guessing total weight with kegs and equipment will be about 350-400 lbs. I assume you glued and screwed your plywood to the bottom of the frame, but did you add any additional framing underneath the plywood?

The slides have held up great. No problems at all. It can e hard to pull out when is full because of the weight but not a big deal .

And yes I put in multiple screws and wood glued the bottom. Happy to help anyway possible so let me know if you have any other questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

In this photo you can see we drilled a 3.5 inch hole on the coffin box sub floor. In the chest freezer the hole size is 2.5".

On the end of the pipe we glued into place a foam gasket piece that we found in the toilet plumbing sections at HD. This slides slightly inside the chest freezer hole sealing it off. However it pulls free And up through the coffin box (3.5" hole) with a little twisting.

How did you glue the foam gasket? Does it just rest on the top of the hole, or actually seat down inside the hole?

I'm running into an issue with my PVC just pushing past the gasket when trying to seat and pipe. I've used PVC cement as well as kitchen/bath silicone.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance for your help!

Gorilla glue. Worked great still haven't had to reglue or replace the original seal.

Since it is slightly tapered it rest over the hole but the tapered part definitely goes in a bit helping to seal it. I am maintaining 42 degrees with very little freezer cycling

Got my Custom maple tap handles in today and made two labels. Things are great - found them on the vendor page of the board. A HBT local makes them himself and I must say I think they will add a great amount of style.

I plan to stain them to match the rest of the bar.

View attachment 150012

I Hope your still active here. Who made these for you cause I HAVE TO HAVE THEM!

Latest posts

Back