Does AHBS LME need to be

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
refrigerated?

This is the first time I've gotten one of their kits and the LME is in a plastic tub. I know canned LME is fine at room temp but what about this stuff? It'll be a few days before I brew.

Thanks
Al

My home LHBS says refrigerate. They have it in a barrel, which is dispensed with CO2, but after it is in the tub you should refrigerate it.

better safe than sorry. just stick it in a sink of warm water on brew day like a can of LME to make it more pourable.

Those plastic tubs are great for storing sugar, dme and cleanser. Just clean em out real good and sanitize.

Especially since you are brewing in a few days, refrigeration is not necessary with your LME, but if you have room in the fridge, it sure won't hurt (unless for some reason its not sealed properly and your fridge smells real bad and the smells get into the extract, but this probably isn't the case). Refrigeration will help increase the shelf life of the extract.

A few days won't matter one way or another. However, like the poster above me said, it won't hurt. I always put my bucket in the fridge if I have room. It's peace of mind, if nothing else.

TL

I keep everything in the fridge or freezer. First, because of rodents. Second, any homebrew ingredient will age more slowly if it is cold.

That said, a few days won't matter.

I Usually have left over LME and i just store it in a cupboard as long as im making another batch within a wek or so - anythng longer i put it in the fridge just to be on the safe side

Back