guinness clone question on taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredderick

Reaction score
I just kegged my guiness clone last night... It tasted pretty good after two weeks in the secondary but there is a smell/flavor that I can't help but notice. I was hoping you could help me determine the origins of it.

The only way I can explain the smell/flavor is it smells/tastes the way the grains smelled when I was brewing this all grain batch. It's not real objectionable but definitely noticeable.

Will it go away with time in the chilled Keg?

I just kegged my guiness clone last night... It tasted pretty good after two weeks in the secondary but there is a smell/flavor that I can't help but notice. I was hoping you could help me determine the origins of it.

The only way I can explain the smell/flavor is it smells/tastes the way the grains smelled when I was brewing this all grain batch. It's not real objectionable but definitely noticeable.

Will it go away with time in the chilled Keg?

Anyone?

It is difficult to answer a question about the specific smell or taste of your brew without a sample. I would guess that if the aroma and flavor is like the grains you have used, you have a good brewing technique. Conditioning will create a more subtle blend of aroma and flavors.

I don't think anyone is going to be able to help you with this one without a better description of the flavor you dislike. Beer is supposed to taste like its ingredients...

ship me the keg, I'll let you know if the flavor goes away :D
seriously though, the flavor may subside over time as they often do, but there's a chance it won't; only time will tell, I wish there was more I could give you than that, but sadly there isn't; again ship it to me and I'll let you know if the flavor goes away. :cheers:

I don't think anyone is going to be able to help you with this one without a better description of the flavor you dislike. Beer is supposed to taste like its ingredients...

Thank you all for the help... This is only my second all grain batch so it very well could be the way it's supposed to taste and smell. Again its not real objectionable I just have never had this happen with my previous extract batches.

I bet you are all right that it's supposed to taste/smell this way due to its being an all grain batch and those are the ingredients I used.

I was concerned this may be the tanning from the hulls or something.

Back