so i just finished my first Hoegaarden and i have to say

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimpanogosSlim

Reaction score
that i have wasted my life.

why did i buy only one? the ABC store closed over an hour ago.

Now i need to figure out which clone recipe I'm using on my next brew day.

I had one last month at Tilted Kilt in Orlando and really didn't care for it either. I've made it already and it was better, imo.

I had the same experience about 6 years back. You'll never go back. **** Blue Moon.

I just brewed the recipe from Beer Captured and it's a great Wit. It's not much like Hoe' , but it's a good recipe.
Got it in the dominion cup this year.

I need to get BCS.

It's reasonably priced too. Nice session beer.

Your BMC friends might like it and then you can have a giggle when they try to pronounce it. :mug:

had to add this photo to the thread, since the pictured tanker truck is pumping hoegaarden beer into the bar across the street through that red hose, even as i type.
haven't the foggiest how that works, yet there it is.

hoe.jpg

over here in the uk Franziskaner dunkel is cheaper and very tasty. I really like bluemoon but being imported from over the pond is pricy for a small bottle... Shame it cant be licenced to one of our brewerys.

Hoegaarden is ok. I used to like it more. Blue Moon is pretty good for me. I preferred Celis White and Allagash White is an excellent example of the style.

Just remember that Blue Moon uses a clean American yeast, so it's not a true Belgian wit.

At this time I can say I've made beer better then Hoegaarden. At least a witbier that I'd rather drink.

dinnerstick said:
had to add this photo to the thread, since the pictured tanker truck is pumping hoegaarden beer into the bar across the street through that red hose, even as i type.
haven't the foggiest how that works, yet there it is.

That's freakin awesome :mug:

Am I the only one who pictures a bunch of early 20 something women prancing around a Victorian fountain everytime someone says Hoegaarden? Just me?

CreamyGoodness said:
Am I the only one who pictures a bunch of early 20 something women prancing around a Victorian fountain everytime someone says Hoegaarden? Just me?

Only when it's pronounced Ho-garden ;)

I had my first last Friday. I enjoyed it, and will have it again. Alagash white was another good one in that style. Now, I don't know how to really pronounce it... as I say Hoe-Garden, lol. You don't know what you don't know, right!?

I had my first last Friday. I enjoyed it, and will have it again. Alagash white was another good one in that style. Now, I don't know how to really pronounce it... as I say Hoe-Garden, lol. You don't know what you don't know, right!?

I'm with you, I've always just said Hoe-Garden. How is it supposed to be pronounced?

Idk, I wasn't a big fan but I did like it better than blue moon which is over rated imho. Liked Leffe Blonde though.

Well... that totally just shattered my vision of early 20-something women frollicking around a Victorian fountain. Shame, it was a really NICE vision...

I didn't think much of Hoegaarden... it's alright, drinkable enough, but not particularly interesting.
Blue Moon is a tasty beverage that I can drink alot of and enjoy, and Shock Top is even better in my book.

Well... that totally just shattered my vision of early 20-something women frollicking around a Victorian fountain. Shame, it was a really NICE vision...

Just say it with an irish accent. It'll still be like you're saying "Ho"...

There was a time a couple years back where the six-pack carrier had a pull out handle (kind of like in a popup book) that when pulled revealed "WHO-GAR-DEN" under the handle.

There was a time a couple years back where the six-pack carrier had a pull out handle (kind of like in a popup book) that when pulled revealed "WHO-GAR-DEN" under the handle.

This.

"Who" "garden"

It's pretty good, every time. I do enjoy wits, though... have to say I prefer Celis White, Blanche du Bruxelles (Mannekin Pis), and for a funky twist and personal favorite, Jolly Pumpkin Calabaza Blanca.

Although, the Blanche cans are always the best deal.

I like hoegaarden mainly for the true belgian yeast profile that you can taste over bluemoon and shocktop.. I think bluemoon and shocktop are fermemted with a clean yeast! anyone know? :mug:

I like hoegaarden mainly for the true belgian yeast profile that you can taste over bluemoon and shocktop.. I think bluemoon and shocktop are fermemted with a clean yeast! anyone know? :mug:

Yep, US-05 is recommended yeast to clone BM, via a brewer that worked for MC back when they released the beer.

Yes. Blue Moon has clay in it to mimic the cloudiness.

Hm, maybe that's what i should call my witbier - Whoville White?

Friend of mine is referring to his as Woegaarden.

French Wit beers are pretty exceptional but they are hard to find. Seek out a french Wit...Allagash also makes a pretty good domestic Wit. Good luck. Give wit a chance...Just remember that you don't have to spice a wit beer. Just rely on the grains for a wit color.

My friend from Belgium told me to say "Who-gardt'n"....not that it matters. :)

It was my quest to replicate Hoegaarden almost ten years ago (before many non-BMC's were available here) that started my home-brewing adventure. I don't think it is the same beer I had then, but that's not surprising since In-Bev can't help but take out cost (this from a friend who was highly placed in In-Bev management before joining my company a couple of years ago.)

I think Allagash White is a better example of the style now. On even more positive news, I hear that the Celis family has re-acquired the brand and will restart production of Celis White :rockin: So stay turned for a real Wit.

Back