Black IPA or Anerican Black Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
IM sending my homebrew away for a competition. I made a black IPA. It turned out pretty damn good. It seems like every week it gets better. My question is....do I send it away as a black IPA or american black ale? I don't want to get points off for naming I wrong.

BJCP. I am putting it under the specialty category. It also asked what the "special" ingredients are. Should I put the dark malt I used.?I wouldn't call it special.

Black IPA. People understand what you're talking about if you call it a Black IPA. I understand that IPA stands for India Pale ale, but again, people will understand you.

What the hell is a cascadian dark ale? That doesn't make sense. And American Black Ale doesn't imply that the beer will be intensely hoppy.

Alrighty......lol..,,,,splitting me apart again. It's most definitely is hoppy. 70 IBU'S. It's delicious.

Black IPA. People understand what you're talking about if you call it a Black IPA. I understand that IPA stands for India Pale ale, but again, people will understand you.

What the hell is a cascadian dark ale? That doesn't make sense. And American Black Ale doesn't imply that the beer will be intensely hoppy.

+1

We had a number of heated threads about this recently.

As I pointed out, the overwhelming majority of commercial brewers making this style are calling them Black IPAs. Despite what BJCP, GABF, or homebrewers in the NW want call them, the industry seems to be going with Black IPA.

Haha he's so right. Morgan freeman, not you. I've decided it a BLACK IPA. Not calling it a BLACK IPA would be racist

Back