Ice cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jberth

Reaction score
20 frozen gallons of home made cider thawing and collecting into six gallon carboy.

ice cider.jpg

I'm curious to see what the Gravity of the 20 gallons was and what the Gravity of this 6 gallons is?

Also how much ice was left in the other carboys?

EDIT: OH WAIT...just read you added yeast...I guess I assumed you were making apple jack. doh!

Room temerature worked fine, around 60 degrees. It took a total of 19 hours to thaw 20 frozen gallons until it filled a six gallon carboy.
There was a decent amount of ice left, im letting that thaw all the way, then i'm going to boil it down and see how much im left with, I'll post some pictures of that opperation. The specific gravity of the concentrated cider dirrectly after the yeast was added was 1055. But i fear that i only got the top layer specific gravity. As you can see in the picture, it quickly formed two layers. So i have mix it around and take another reading.

What did you do with the other 14 gallons? Dump it? Did you check gravity? After collecting 6 gallons, I wouldn't be surprised if it was still draining at a pretty decent gravity.

I've frozen a fair amount of cider. I check gravities to determine my progress, but I typically get 25-30% of it high gravity (1.090 or so average). At that point I'm usually still getting around 1.060 and I hate to throw away cider, so the next 40%, or so, gets refrozen. The last 30% gets dumped.

Im letting them thaw, then i will boil them down. The gravity of the concentrate was 1055, but there are two layers so i have to mix it around and take it again. But yea i agree, i hand made those 20 galons, i'd hate to see it go to waste.

can you give you the exact process you used to make the concentrated apple??? I know freezing causes the sugars to separate but I would like more details please.

It wasn't a real calculated move. I just put the twenty gallons in a chest freezer and waited till they were solid and then thawed out. I believe they thawed fine, i tasted some of the concentrate and it was thick and heavy with sugar.

Latest posts

Back