Whirlpool w lid on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logdrum

Reaction score
OK that pretty much sums up the question: should I put a lid on my kettle after flame out during the settling portion of the whirlpool (w or w out hops)? No need to worry about DMS or other funky off flavors at this point? Thanks

Sent from my iPod touch using HB Talk

I would leave the lid off at least until the temp drops to around 150°F or so. Unless you boiled for 90+ minutes, there is still some DMS being released. Minimal perhaps, but above 140°F, anything that creeps into the wort is killed anyway. So you are fine uncovered while the temps are high.

I whirlpool cold, lid on.

This is one thing I don't understand about pro brewing, the hot whirlpool. What happens to all the cold break?

I whirlpool cold, lid on.

This is one thing I don't understand about pro brewing, the hot whirlpool. What happens to all the cold break?

It goes to the fermenter and isn't given a second thought.

The trub sediments out in the kettle, along with the hops, after whirlpool. A tight cake of trub/hops forms on the bottom of the kettle (bowl shaped), the hot wort is drawn off from above it.

Back