The OCD of home brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fudd

Reaction score
I have this near paralyzing fear of my beer getting contaminated. I try to sterlize the primary fermenter like 1 minute before I pour the wort in, and if I leave it standing there for a couple of minutes I start getting panicked. I would never open my primary during fermentation for fear of infection. I have this fear that I'm going to think that it is done fermenting, then open it and it won't be...This is what happened my last batch: I thought the beer was done fermenting so I started cleaning the bottles without opening it to see if it had reached final gravity, about half way through I realized how stupid that was so I opened it. Now here is the real obsessive compulsive part :eek: I want to take a hydrometer reading so I need to put the lid somewhere, I try sliding it to one side but the perspiration starts going all over the floor so I flip it upside down quick and the airlock starts pouring into the beer, in a panick I take the lid and leave it in the bathroom sink and take my reading. The beer is ready for bottling but I still have half the bottles to wash. Now I can't just leave the container open, because the BEER WILL DIE!!! and I can't put the lid back on because it has been sitting in the sink and is contaminated, I decide to disinfect the lid about the same time that I remember that I'm out of the disinfectant. I decide to leave the lid off and continue with the bottles but I'm just thinking of the poor beer sitting downstairs, alone, helpless, so I run back down and put the lid on anyways and hope for the best...Anyways the beer turned out fine but I was wondering if maybe I'm overdoing it a bit and what are the necessary precautions if you are going to open the fermenter and close it again.

You have a lot of things going on in your post so I'll just start by saying "Take a chill pill"!! You are over reacting! (But I feel your anguish!)

You are being way too cautious, but that's better than complacency.

Next time that happens just cover it up with Saran wrap or aluminum foil. You can place your lid on top of either one of them and go finish cleaning your bottles.

Perspiration? Are you brewing in a sauna? LMAO!

Next time just open up the container to take a hydrometer reading just lean the lid up against the side of the container. The lip of the lid will keep the inside from coming into contact with anything that could contaminate the lid.

If you decide it's ready to bottle then go sanitize your bottles. :D Just place the lid back on it'll be OK.

Hey Fudd, you need to read Charlie Papazian's book...in his words "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew"

Yeah sure, cleanliness and sanitising is important, and there are nasties out there, but remember it is cleanliness and sanitising, not sterilising! This isn't an operating theatre! Maybe you should take a tour round a local microbrewery and see how those guys go about the process of brewing. Yeah microbreweries aren't exactly the same as homebrewing with the scale and kit and all, but it might help you to relax when you see their practices when it comes to cleanliness, and how great the beer turns out!

Hope this helps, and happy brewing! :)

My (then) 2 1/2 yr old son sneezed in ORRELSE's very first batch as it sat in his bottling bucket. :D Came out fine!

Yeah I was siphoning from secondary to the bottling bucket (which I had on the floor) and my dog came over and decided to take a look in. A few pieces of hair were floating in it and I'm sure drool got in but it ended up being my best batch. Never told anyone who drank it about the dog though ;)

Fudd said:
I have this near paralyzing fear of my beer getting contaminated. I try to sterlize the primary fermenter like 1 minute before I pour the wort in, and if I leave it standing there for a couple of minutes I start getting panicked. I would never open my primary during fermentation for fear of infection. I have this fear that I'm going to think that it is done fermenting, then open it and it won't be...This is what happened my last batch: I thought the beer was done fermenting so I started cleaning the bottles without opening it to see if it had reached final gravity, about half way through I realized how stupid that was so I opened it. Now here is the real obsessive compulsive part :eek: I want to take a hydrometer reading so I need to put the lid somewhere, I try sliding it to one side but the perspiration starts going all over the floor so I flip it upside down quick and the airlock starts pouring into the beer, in a panick I take the lid and leave it in the bathroom sink and take my reading. The beer is ready for bottling but I still have half the bottles to wash. Now I can't just leave the container open, because the BEER WILL DIE!!! and I can't put the lid back on because it has been sitting in the sink and is contaminated, I decide to disinfect the lid about the same time that I remember that I'm out of the disinfectant. I decide to leave the lid off and continue with the bottles but I'm just thinking of the poor beer sitting downstairs, alone, helpless, so I run back down and put the lid on anyways and hope for the best...Anyways the beer turned out fine but I was wondering if maybe I'm overdoing it a bit and what are the necessary precautions if you are going to open the fermenter and close it again.

Ever heard of Belgium? You can just pretend you live there.

a few small tips.. I work ina biology lab and sterility is a key factor in the work.

Firstly, if your house (or work area) is clean enough to walk in without shoes then your chances of catching a "passing by" infection is pretty small.

Second, it takes more than just a single (or few hundred for that matter) bacteria to cause an infection. Just like you need a few million viable yeast cells to start the fermentation the same is true for an infection.

Third, after you sterilize something (like beer bottles) let them dry and cover with tin foil. This is what we do for all of our glassware in the lab and it is an effective means for maintaing sterility. (of course having access to an auto-clave is nice too)

Lastly, get yourself a spray bottle and fill it with 10% ethanol solution (10% in water) This can be sprayed on EVERYTHING, it dries quickly and kills everything. Spray it on the rim of the bucket 10minutes before openeing it, spray it on the airlock, the bung, the thermometer etc. before using them. Give it a few minutes to dry and then wipe clean with a paper towel. You'll kill any nasties. Other than that, just chill and have some brew. I am fairly new at this but so far-so good with no infection! (And i sanitize my carboys with bleach in the bath tub! :D )

Good luck,
~mix

trailmix said:
a few small tips.. I work ina biology lab and sterility is a key factor in the work.

Firstly, if your house (or work area) is clean enough to walk in without shoes then your chances of catching a "passing by" infection is pretty small.

Second, it takes more than just a single (or few hundred for that matter) bacteria to cause an infection. Just like you need a few million viable yeast cells to start the fermentation the same is true for an infection.

Third, after you sterilize something (like beer bottles) let them dry and cover with tin foil. This is what we do for all of our glassware in the lab and it is an effective means for maintaing sterility. (of course having access to an auto-clave is nice too)

Lastly, get yourself a spray bottle and fill it with 10% ethanol solution (10% in water) This can be sprayed on EVERYTHING, it dries quickly and kills everything. Spray it on the rim of the bucket 10minutes before openeing it, spray it on the airlock, the bung, the thermometer etc. before using them. Give it a few minutes to dry and then wipe clean with a paper towel. You'll kill any nasties. Other than that, just chill and have some brew. I am fairly new at this but so far-so good with no infection! (And i sanitize my carboys with bleach in the bath tub! :D )

Good luck,
~mix

Good stuff!

Back