Ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgason

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have been brewing for about two years but only have used kits from midwest supplies.com. I really want to start making my own beer from scratch but i really don't know where to begin. Is there specific ratios that anybody uses or any good readings or posts hat can point me in the right direction.

Take a peek at the recipe section and take it from there.Many ask for simple recipes to start with.

B

Yeah, look at a lot of recipes for the style you want to make and you'll start to get a feel for what you need for that given style. I have a grain chart I printed off HBT somewhere that characterizes the different grains, tells whether they need to be mashed, and shows the color they impart. I also use a Wyeast pamphlet I picked up at my lbhs that lists all their yeasts and the character of each.
If you're extract brewing, most recipes seem to be based on pale DME at rate of approx. 1lb/gal. Then use steeping grains to add specific character. Yeast also can add a very specific trait to the beer.
This site has been a wealth of information for me. Keep looking around, especially at the recipes. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back