Getting FG lower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanwms

Reaction score
I have a recipe for an IPA and another for a Barleywine. I both cases, comparing recipes to BJCP, I'm in good shape, except both FGs are too high. What general techniques can I do that will bring the number down?

I have a recipe for an IPA and another for a Barleywine. I both cases, comparing recipes to BJCP, I'm in good shape, except both FGs are too high. What general techniques can I do that will bring the number down?

Are these extract, partial or all grain recipes?

Simple answer: Replace some of the malt/malt extract with sugar, up to 10%.

Long answer: It depends.

Sugars is one possibility; another is using a more attenuative yeast that will allow for more of the sugars to ferment away. What yeast(s) have you logged into the program?

I'm doing all-grain, and using iBrewMaster (iPad app) to do the calculations.

Mash low. I mash my IPA at 148 for 90min. Use Wyeast American Ale fermented at 65, OG of 1.068, FG of 1.011.

I've brewed plenty of English pale ales using WLP 002 or WY 1968.
With those yeasts, brewing software that predicts an FG often predicts an FG that is out of range for the style. However, my FG is almost always considerably lower than what the software predicts. Because of this, I ignore FG predictions generated by software.

-a.

Latest posts

Back