Thermometer calibration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esarkipato

Reaction score
Just an fyi to new brewers, or ones that have been around for a few years. Just long enough for the equipment to start going a little haywire! I haven't been hitting my target OG's lately, and much of the problem was due to mashing temps I think. I followed the instructions in this article and the resulting batch was spot on for gravity.

http://www.ehow.com/how_114291_calibrate-meat-thermometer.html

Unfortunately many thermos will not calibrate to both ends, just ask Blichmann. And even if they do that doesn't have anything to do with them being accurate @ 150F.

The real answer is to spend the cash for a quality thermo.

I hope that post didn't come off as know-it-all, I had a few samples of the raspberry cider before bottling that batch O_O. I never even realized a thermometer could be calibrated, so I wanted to make sure other noobs were left in the dark.

I couldn't get my thermometer spot on at both ends either. I split the difference, and yes I have a cheap a$$ meat thermometer. I was weighing the options of a) running to LHBS to get one, stalling the brew an hour, or b) calibrating. My guess is that if the thermo is off 4 degrees at 32F, and 4 degrees at 212F, it should be right on at 122F and "pretty close" in the 150 range.

In the end, if you are going to use a crap thermometer, at least calibrate it!!! And hey, the proof is in the pudding as I hit my OG right on and got full conversion of starch to sugar (iodine test).

Back