mixed fruit melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikobrew

Reaction score
It's been years since I've made mead so I could be way off on this recipe. Just looking for a tasty melomel that's on the lower abv side (around 9%) that I plan to back sweeten to taste.

13 gallons (to fermenter)

24lb honey
2.66lb raspberry
2.66lb blueberry
2.66lb marionberry (used blackberry in calculator, gotmead.com didn't have the)

In the process I know I shouldn't add all the honey and fruit at once, when we made in the past we just added some of the fruit to water water on the strove and dissolved honey into it, poured it into the fermenter and topped it off with water to bring the temp down and bring it to volume. Now we'll be making it in a converted keg so we can handle more volume and instead of topping it off we can heat it at full volume.

As for our process would we want to add 1/2 or 3/4 of the honey and fruit to begin and add the rest at secondary? We'll have this split up over 3 fermenters, each 5 to 6 gallons.

Thanks!

Since posting this I've realized that's probably not enough fruit. It comes in 4lb packs and I can do 8lb per fruit. I'm using the costco mixed berries package.

Bumping up the fruit to 24 lbs is a good idea.

I would add all the honey in the beginning. This is a low ABV mead, so I don't see the need to add honey in stages. Whether to add the fruit in primary or secondary is an often debated topic. Either way works.

How high do you heat your honey? Boiling used to be popular, but I don't think many people do that anymore. Some people heat to 160-170 degrees to pasteurize. Others, myself included, don't heat at all.

Bumping up the fruit to 24 lbs is a good idea.
How high do you heat your honey? Boiling used to be popular, but I don't think many people do that anymore. Some people heat to 160-170 degrees to pasteurize. Others, myself included, don't heat at all.

You know I don't remember the temp. My wife did this part because she enjoyed it (now all our fermenters have beer in them and it's time to make some mead again!) and she just heated the water enough to dissolve the honey and extract some tastiness from the fruit. These bags of fruit come in 4lb packages so now I'm thinking add 2 packages at primary and 1 packages at secondary.

If you don't heat it, how do you mix the honey with the water? I'm not as concerned with pasteurizing.

A side note: last time we made mead we added fruit to a carboy without a cheesecloth bag or anything, just straight in..BAD IDEA I'm surprised we ever got it out :p Won't make that mistake twice.

Ya as GinKings said, there are some things that everybody will tell you something different. Some boil, some heat, some just mix like crazy. I tend to follow the no boil line of thinking. I typically heat up some but not all water for ease of mixing, but if you wanted to just toss the honey in first then add room temp water that'd probably work too. The key is to stir like mad! If you have something that can attach to a drill, it makes it easier. I straightened a plastic hanger in boiling water and used that. Worked like a charm. On the other hand if you believe boiling is the key, go for it.

Also as has been stated the fruit additions has been hotly debated. Some think all in primary or all in secondary. Others feel as though splitting is a good idea. For my last mead I put most of the strawberries in primary and some in secondary. I wish I would have either put them all in secondary or a larger portion of them in secondary. I am currently making a raspberry melomel and am putting them all in secondary.

That has been my experience. Hope it helps!

Ya as GinKings said, there are some things that everybody will tell you something different. Some boil, some heat, some just mix like crazy. I tend to follow the no boil line of thinking. I typically heat up some but not all water for ease of mixing, but if you wanted to just toss the honey in first then add room temp water that'd probably work too. The key is to stir like mad! If you have something that can attach to a drill, it makes it easier. I straightened a plastic hanger in boiling water and used that. Worked like a charm. On the other hand if you believe boiling is the key, go for it.

Also as has been stated the fruit additions has been hotly debated. Some think all in primary or all in secondary. Others feel as though splitting is a good idea. For my last mead I put most of the strawberries in primary and some in secondary. I wish I would have either put them all in secondary or a larger portion of them in secondary. I am currently making a raspberry melomel and am putting them all in secondary.

That has been my experience. Hope it helps!

Thanks. We'll heat it and stir it, no reason not to. We won't boil it, no need to do so. As for fruit additions the main reason I want to put half in first is because I want the fruit to help provide nutrients to the yeast. We did this before without adding any yeast nutrient and it fermented fairly quickly - 3 months from stove top to bottle and 3 days after that we started drinking it. We still have a few bottles left (several years later) but the people who drank it fresh really enjoyed it (not just family and friends who just want to be nice, these were pretty critical people). We're trying to make the tastiest melomel possible with the fewest ingredients possible.

So revised, does this look like a solid recipe? Since the fruit doesn't add much alcohol how much is typical per pound of honey/gallon of water?

13 gallons (to fermenter)

24lb honey
8b raspberry
8lb blueberry
8lb marionberry (used blackberry in calculator, gotmead.com didn't have the)

Back