New brew, kind of an expiriment.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagreek

Reaction score
So i decided that i was gonna toy around and see if i could come up with some kind of chocolate stout using Coopers Irish stout.

these are the ingredients i used

1 can Coopers Irish Stout
1lbs Light Dry Malt extract
1lbs Corn Sugar
1/3 cup Chocolate Malt
5 Gallons Water
4oz Brewers best Chocolate flavor

I intend to let this brew sit in secondary for about a month before bottling, and then let it condition in bottle for another few weeks.
it ended up with an OG of 1041 which is kind of low in my opinion but if it comes out tasting good i will probably try it again with more corn sugar and perhaps a different strain of yeast.

My big question with this is would it be too much to add cocoa powder (in suspension) into the secondary?

Did you already add the "chocolate flavor"? If you have, taste the beer and see how much chocolate flavor it has before adding anything else. If you haven’t you could certainly add cocoa now, but taste the beer at bottling and add the flavor to taste (don’t dump it all in).

I actually like cocoa powder in secondary, I mix it with a bit of hot water to form a paste first (which makes mixing it into the beer much easier).

Next time I would up the malt extract rather than the corn sugar. Corn sugar is ~100% fermentable, so it adds alcohol without body or sweetness, which you need a low gravity beer. Sugar is great for adding lightness to big Belgians, and Double IPAs etc… but I don’t like it in beers under ~1.060 as a general rule.

Good luck.

Back