Yeast Washing Video

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone thanks for the recent compliments and I'm glad the video is helping people. I'm waiting to get an angry call from White Labs because of all the people reusing their yeast lol.

I doubt you will get an angry call from White labs. Chris White covers this in his book "Yeast" with Jamil Zainasheff. I think the only call you might get is concerning terms "yeast rinsing" vs "yeast washing". I enjoyed your video though.If that doesn't help someone get started nothing will.

after washing i got about 1/4" in each four jars. is this enough for a batch after a starter is made or do you combine a couple to make one. I may have missed this earlier. Thanks for video anyway to save some cash is great!

Also is it possible to use distilled water rather than boiling and cooling water?

This saves me hundreds of dollars a year. Great post.

That's what I like to hear! See, more money for equipment, ingredients, commercial beer, electric bill (lower priority).

I doubt you will get an angry call from White labs. Chris White covers this in his book "Yeast" with Jamil Zainasheff. I think the only call you might get is concerning terms "yeast rinsing" vs "yeast washing". I enjoyed your video though.If that doesn't help someone get started nothing will.

They do cover it. Obviously joking, although I'd get a kick out of it if people like shroomzofdoom put a dent in their bottom line. Thanks for the kind words on the video!

after washing i got about 1/4" in each four jars. is this enough for a batch after a starter is made or do you combine a couple to make one. I may have missed this earlier. Thanks for video anyway to save some cash is great!

Also is it possible to use distilled water rather than boiling and cooling water?

How much yeast you have in the jars is a very common question. Check out the comments of this post, but I'll post my main comment here:

The answer is actually on the pitching rate calculator.

If you go to the calculator at mrmalty.com there is a tab called “Repitching from Slurry.” It’s confusing looking at first, but there are instructions here: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/repitch.html.

Basically, it lets you estimate your yeast concentration in a slurry, and then tells you how many milliliters you need to pitch for a given batch of beer. So if you’re like me and you store your washed yeast in pint mason jars and you know you need 100 ml of slurry, that would be ~ 20% of the mason jar filled with yeast slurry. The book actually has a page or two on this very topic and gets more in depth about how to estimate concentrations.

Hopefully that helps.

As for using distilled water, I'd still worry about it not being sanitized. Yes maybe the water is, but those plastic jugs? Who knows.

Never mind, answers found in your FAQ! My bad for not reading there first...

Back