What other equipment do i need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GodsStepBrother

Reaction score
Hey guys i did my first extract brew and it came out great, granted i have not tasted it yet. But i looked excellent made no mistake i can think of, and sanitized everything TO MUCH! hahaha... but now my second one i want to do partial mash. Can i do it with the equipment i have? i mean the only difference i can tell from the research is that i have to boil the grains for an hour at 150 degrees right? so i can use my stock pot and everything i have for extract correct? If you guys can think of any other equipment i should invest on, what would it be, besides the cooler ( i want to try my first brew before i do that much).

Just a larger straining bag, obviously, for the greater amount of grain. Get a bag that totally encompasses the kettle, and let the sides of the bag hang over the edge. The more you allow the grain to spread out in the kettle, the better.

Have another pot ready with pre-heated sparge water.

Was your kit a pre-hopped LME kit or was it some kind of extract + steeping grains + hops? :mug:

Hey guys i did my first extract brew and it came out great, granted i have not tasted it yet. But i looked excellent made no mistake i can think of, and sanitized everything TO MUCH! hahaha... but now my second one i want to do partial mash. Can i do it with the equipment i have? i mean the only difference i can tell from the research is that i have to boil the grains for an hour at 150 degrees right? so i can use my stock pot and everything i have for extract correct? If you guys can think of any other equipment i should invest on, what would it be, besides the cooler ( i want to try my first brew before i do that much).

Oh God NO!!!! never boil the grains !~!!~~!!!!~

you will steep/mash the grains at 148-156 for about an hour

you should do a simple search for a Cooler MLT

-Jason

It was the extract + steeping grains + hops. It was a pale ale with 3 hop additions. Why?

Then you have all the equip you need. You will suffer some heat loss during the mash but I've only done one myself so can't quite comment on the outcome as it's only 1 week in primary. It does take longer to brew than a steeping extract recipe.

I figured the 45 min to mash (@~155F) is close enough to an AG mash timewise that I spent ~$80 and built myself a mash tun and will jump that gun in a month or so.

alright thanks a lots guys. You guys are right it isn't a hobby, but an obsession. I honestly am always thinking of new equipment and what beers to do next.

You could also look over this link. All you need is a brew pot, a smaller pot (for the mash tunne), a thermometer and a collander (spagetti strainer)
Dan's Homebrewing Supplies, Vancouver, BC

I brewed using this method yesterday, and it seemed to go well.
7 lbs Wheat Malt extract
.65 lb wheat
.65 lb pilsner malt
.8 ounces hallertau hop .75@45min .25@15min
3068 Weihenstephan smack pack

Back