carbonating with wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I was thinking I would pressure can some wort with a low gravity and store it until needed, boil it and then add it when I transfer to a keg. I'm thinking about picking up a bleeder valve to monitor for the desired psi and cap it. Any problems with this idea?

Nope and it is a good way of keeping the integrity of a brew.
The only problem is it's not a constant and you may need to experiment with the amount you require.

It's not that common but if you search you should find information on it.

Papazian talks about "Kraeusening", using wort for priming, in The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing. I haven't tried it but it sounded interesting. You could probably google it if you don't have the book to get the complete scoop.

I think there is a formula you could use to determine the co2 volume based on gravity and amount of wort used. If someone knows the formula please chime in.

I think instead of going through the trouble of canning wort just wait till the next time you brew and use that.

you could probably back calculate it off of the Beersmith carbonation calculator for your recipe, just switch corn sugar to malt extract and set your volumes of carbonation.

Here's my real life example

5 gal on Wit at 2.7 volumes CO2 needs 170gm of DME (454grams per pound)

My OG of the wort is 1.050, or 50 points per gallon.

170gm/454 gm = 0.374pounds of DME

DME has 44 points per pound

SO, the calculation is

0.374 pounds x (44points per pound/50 points per gallon) = .33 gallons of my wort

If I can recover this from the pot, pressure can it with maybe 10-15 min at 15 psi and it'll be ready to go at bottling time. The bonus is that it has the same hop or spice character as your beer

Hope this helps

you could probably back calculate it off of the Beersmith carbonation calculator for your recipe, just switch corn sugar to malt extract and set your volumes of carbonation.

Here's my real life example

My OG of the wort is 1.050, or 50 points per gallon.

170gm/454 gm = 0.374pounds of DME

DME has 44 points per pound

SO, the calculation is

0.374 pounds x (44points per pound/50 points per gallon) = .33 gallons of my wort

If I can recover this from the pot, pressure can it with maybe 10-15 min at 15 psi and it'll be ready to go at bottling time. The bonus is that it has the same hop or spice character as your beer

Hope this helps

Is this correct?
I'm really interested in doing this and want to make sure I understand it correctly. My numbers show .62lbs DME or 279grams for 5 gal wit @ 2.7 vols

we're both right, my software is set for 60F fermentation so it assumes 0.9 volumes of CO2 already in solution from fermentation, so I'm really only adding 1.8 more volumes using sugar or wort.

I think your calculation is set for a higher temperature of fermentation or that there is no latent CO2 present.

Papazian talks about "Kraeusening", using wort for priming, in The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing. I haven't tried it but it sounded interesting. You could probably google it if you don't have the book to get the complete scoop.

kraeusening is adding top cropped yeast I believe.

Using wort is called gyle:)

My plan is to can the wort to have a consistent amount of sugars in the solution and adjust the amount of canned wort needed to reach the desired volume of co2.

Thanks for the feed back.

kraeusening is adding top cropped yeast I believe.

Using wort is called gyle:)

WRONG!

in the NEW COMPLETE JOY (Version Second Edition, Page 331:
kraeusening ( besides being hard to spell) is the process of priming beer with a measured amount of of gyle. Gyle is the amount of unfermented wort that a brewer uses to prime finished beer...

The Complete Joy of Home Brewing, 3rd Edition Page 318
Kraeisening The process that substitutes unfermented wort for sugar at bottling time

Also in the 3rd edition, Page 327 - 328
The Practical method is described as using (12xGallons of wort) / ((Specific Gravity -)x1000) = Quarts of Gyle needed.

Good Call Nurmey!

Just to clarify the formula posted by BigKahuna:

(Gallons of beer to be carbonated X 12) / ((OG - 1) X 1000) = qts Gyle

or, simply:

(Gallons... X 12) / Last two digits of OG

So, for an example of 5 gallons of a 1.050 OG beer:

5 X 12 = 60
60/50 = 1.2 qts gyle

I've carbonated several times like this and have been happy with the results, but have stopped because it's not really noticable and sort of a PIA.

kraeusening - the process of introducing a measured amount of freshly fermenting wort into finished beer in order to carbonate or condition it. the homebrewer's companion, Charlie P.

KRAUSENING
A traditional conditioning technique

the practice of adding a small amount of Vigorously fermenting lager beer to a larger amount of lager beer that has just finished fermenting.

BYO November 2006

it must have been the spelling

Another popular method of priming is one in which sterile, unfermented wort (called "peise" - German for "food").......This metod is sometimes incorrectly called "krausening," a method German brewers use whereby a portion of actively fermenting beer (containing a high yeast cell count and unfermented sugar) in the krausen stage...to facilitate carbonate.

The brewmasters bible
Stephen Snyder

maybe its not hte seplilng atfer al maye I wanst os wngor I ondt now?:mug:

go to www.tastybrew.com

I guess if you are using all grain and want to stick with it, then you have to stash wort away. But essentially what you are wanting to do can be done by using DME/ LME. Just boil some, let it cool and add it to the keg. The link above has priming calculators. It should even help you if you want to use wort because we know that DME has a 1.041 gravity for 1lbs to 1 gallon.

Back