Urgent help needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fadeux

Reaction score
Ok, I am about 20 minutes into my first boil. I have 3 gallons in the pot. LME, 2 lbs of rice syrup, and 3/4 oz Hallertau hops. My problem is I cant seem to get a good boil going. Just a measly slow boil. If I put the lid on, it goes crazy. What should I do, stick with the lid off and the slow roll, or lid on, and keep a watchful eye? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Keep the heat up and keep stirring, its not going to wildly boil over the top or anything as long as you keep stirring. If you don't stir it, you might get a batch that has a burnt flavor to it.

You NEED to let some steam escape, or you'll very likely wind up with DMS in your beer (corn/vegetal off-flavors). Try putting the lid about halfway onto the pot.

Well, just got done chilling her, transfered her to the primary fermenter, added the yeast, and now its the waiting game. Going to need to go pick up some Sam until this is done... :)

I wish I had read this earlier. You could try to wrap the base in some foil next time and kind of funnel it up the pot just to make sure no heat is going unused.

Thanks for the tip, but I don't know how much it would help. The burners radius is significantly smaller than the kettle.

Bigger pot over two burners?

I used to see copper wash kettles- large oval pots about a foot deep or more. eBay, maybe? Or your big roasting pan, but not if it has any chipped enamel inside, iron/rust ruins beer.

Its actually a round pot, its not much bigger than the burner, but still a little bigger. I can't imagine any heat was wasted. It was a steel pot with a ceramic liner.

Back