Frigidaire Model FRC445GB Mini-Fridge Kegerator Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I did this fridge build years ago (I have the original one) but never put in any faucets. Thinking about doing through the door faucets. But I want to get shanks long enough to be able to one day switch over to a keezer. What do you guys suggest?

I built my version of this fridge with thru the door faucets and have been very pleased. I have 5 1/8" shanks and they are great. Future comparability will of course require on how you eventually build your keezer. I don't believe short shanks (3") will work with this fridge without hacking up the molding on the inside of the door.

Typically keezers can get away with shorter shanks because you're only going through a collar of 1xSomething and maybe some insulation. Shorter shanks can give you the advantage of it being easier to get kegs in/out of the keezer, but longer ones will transfer more cold to your beer.

I built my version of this fridge with thru the door faucets and have been very pleased. I have 5 1/8" shanks and they are great. Future comparability will of course require on how you eventually build your keezer. I don't believe short shanks (3") will work with this fridge without hacking up the molding on the inside of the door.

Typically keezers can get away with shorter shanks because you're only going through a collar of 1xSomething and maybe some insulation. Shorter shanks can give you the advantage of it being easier to get kegs in/out of the keezer, but longer ones will transfer more cold to your beer.

Thanks for the info

After finding out how to test the PTC relay (QP2-4.7), I bought a replacement from AppliancePartsPros. Came within a day and I've got a cold fridge again.
I think i am running into the same problem with my fridge, did you get a one prong, two prong or three prong replacement relay? Cant seem to find a three prong online, but found the one and two prong type..... Is this as simple as an unplug the old one and plug in the new one? Thanks!

Remove two screws and the bracket comes out freeing the freezer door.
IMGP1063.JPG

With the bracket and door out, 1 shelf remains on the bottom and will just slide out.
IMGP1064.JPG

The freezer shelf pulled out. It is obvious to see where the cooling lines run (thicker area in the top)
IMGP1065.JPG

Stripped down you can see plenty of room for some keg action. In the middle of the compressor hump there is a plastic plug that fills a drainage hole. I will be using this to route the gas hose so I can externally mount the co2 canister. I will then be able to add a 3 gallon corny keg.
IMGP1066.JPG
Do you by any chance still have the freezer door for this fridge that I can buy from you or do you know anyone else that has done this conversion that has the door that I can have. Trying to just use it as a fridge and I need the door. Please let me know. Thanks.

Not at all. I built a kegerator I just didn't use this fridge. I wanna now use this fridge to hold the other sprits I wanna keep cold. If you or if you know anyone that has one for me to buy off them I would appreciate it.

I am interested in doing a build like this but can't find this model of fridge for sale anywhere. Does anyone have any solid alternatives? I'm interested in this model since you could conceivably do 2 5 gallons and 1 3 gallon corny and it seems to be a simple build.

I am interested in doing a build like this but can't find this model of fridge for sale anywhere. Does anyone have any solid alternatives? I'm interested in this model since you could conceivably do 2 5 gallons and 1 3 gallon corny and it seems to be a simple build.

I was at Lowes the other day and it looks like their version of it has changed where the freezer shelf we used to remove is molded in now. Not a deal breaker because there still aren't refrigerant lines in there but makes it more of a PITA to convert.

Have you checked Craigslist? I found one today for $100 while looking for something else

I was at Lowes the other day and it looks like their version of it has changed where the freezer shelf we used to remove is molded in now. Not a deal breaker because there still aren't refrigerant lines in there but makes it more of a PITA to convert.

Have you checked Craigslist? I found one today for $100 while looking for something else

This is the one I'm seeing online. Thanks for confirming that the freezer shelf is molded in there. How would one go about removing that? Just taking a saw to it?

Want to move up to kegging sooner than later and was hoping to go the minifridge route. Don't have enough space in the house for a true keezer, unless I start getting rid of furniture. Which, you know, we could do, but still.

I don't have one of the new style fridges, so I can not confirm, but yes you could simply hack it out with a razor or other knife. A slightly more elegant solution would be to remove the entire molding piece and replace it with a piece of plastic from HD.

This is the one I'm seeing online. Thanks for confirming that the freezer shelf is molded in there. How would one go about removing that? Just taking a saw to it?

Want to move up to kegging sooner than later and was hoping to go the minifridge route. Don't have enough space in the house for a true keezer, unless I start getting rid of furniture. Which, you know, we could do, but still.

The one you linked would be too small. That's only a 4cuft vice 4.5.

The one you linked would be too small. That's only a 4cuft vice 4.5.

Thanks and nice catch.

At this point I've talked myself into going the chest freezer/keezer route once space opens up in the house. I figure if I'm dropping $200 for something that'll hold two kegs, I might as well drop $200 on something that'll hold four kegs.

We'll be getting rid of some of the baby-specific furniture now that the kid's a kid, which'll let us move some furniture to her room, which'll free up some space for the keezer.

Remove two screws and the bracket comes out freeing the freezer door.
IMGP1063.JPG

With the bracket and door out, 1 shelf remains on the bottom and will just slide out.
IMGP1064.JPG

The freezer shelf pulled out. It is obvious to see where the cooling lines run (thicker area in the top)
IMGP1065.JPG

Stripped down you can see plenty of room for some keg action. In the middle of the compressor hump there is a plastic plug that fills a drainage hole. I will be using this to route the gas hose so I can externally mount the co2 canister. I will then be able to add a 3 gallon corny keg.
IMGP1066.JPG
You will also need to rotate your thermostat/light unit 180degrees to fit the second keg in there! I have the same Mosel in stainless and it will not fit second keg until that thermos is rotated.

Or get a temp controller, remove the thermoatat, wire the motor to always on and fit 2 no problem.

Just starting my kegerator build with a Frigidare ffph44m4lm. Haven't really gotten into it yet, but I did build a temp controller tonight. And I must say that it works right smart. For $28.00 I can't complain.

For anyone who ran into issues with this kegerator stopping cooling, did you ever find a solution? Mine isn't clicking, but the relay does rattle a bit I think, so might try that replacement part just to see.

The compressor appears to run (vibrates, gets warm to the touch), but none of the coolant lines feel cold. I don't really know what the effect of a bad relay would be, though I imagine it wouldn't even turn the compressor on. Maybe it's just not communicating to the compressor to switch to run mode?

I hear some liquid moving around the walls of the kegerator, so I believe their is still refrigerant, but not really sure what else could be the problem at this point.

I had this in storage for 2 years while stationed overseas and after plugging it in here in NY it worked for about 2-3 weeks fine and then just stopped getting cold. I have the FRC445GB model.

Hoping to get some insight from you fine folks!

I know this is an old thread but I an new to the forums.

It has given me some great ideas and inspiration on beginning my own configuration. I am going to use the 2.5 gallon Torpedo Kegs, just 2 to start. Just need to cut out some templates and see what work.

Once again, you all are a great resource and inspiration to a new home brewer.

Tacking on to the end of this very old thread. I built one of these using the "newer" Lowe's model Frigidaire - LFPH44M4LM- but recently discovered that although the compressor DOES still run, it is not cooling anymore. The compressor does get warm, but neither line leading away from it is cool. Anyone else had this problem? If so, were you able to find a fix? Thanks all! It was great while it was working, now that summer is here, it would be nice if it was STILL working.

This is probably a long shot since this thread is so old, but I think I'm having issues with mine. It seems to be running a lot more than usual even though I have it on a lower setting. I've also noticed that it's getting frost on the back wall but not on top of the fridge. It's still keeping beer cold, but seems to be running a lot more to do so.

Anyone have any idea what the issue might be and if there's a fix?

Attachments

• IMG_8180.jpg
    IMG_8180.jpg
    571 KB · Views: 0
Units low on refrigerant often exhibit localized freeze-up at the beginning of their evaporator loops. It's a classic symptom on a dying freezer, at least...

Back