Your new HERMS/RIMS pump...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now if you can match your complete brewing system to the pumps quality it would be on display in a glass show case. I'm safe I don't have money problems, no money hence no problems. Single tier so i'll take two please.

Now if you can match your complete brewing system to the pumps quality it would be on display in a glass show case. I'm safe I don't have money problems, no money hence no problems. Single tier so i'll take two please.

I am working on an all stainlass HERMS design but it is merely in the R&D phases at the moment. First indication from my regional Alfa Laval rep on a price range for this bad boy is like $3k. He gave me a number for a gentleman that works for one of their distributors, who I will call on Monday for a more accurate quote. However, the thing is pretty eh? And it's shiny! :p

Ok, the performance statistics are'nt bad either. :)

An all stainless HERMS system ya got my attention instantly, i'm farther back in the dream stage and holding. You go bro but post when you make forward progress on your system build..

An all stainless HERMS system ya got my attention instantly, i'm farther back in the dream stage and holding. You go bro but post when you make forward progress on your system build..

Well, the build is definately still off in the distance. I am still considering several option in design and equipment. At the moment, I am actually still showing the use of a copper coil heat exchanger run through my HLT. So it may be a bit of a stretch actually to call it an "all-stainless" system. I am not sure how well a stainless coil would work in terms of transferring heat during recirculation. There may be alternatives to consider in the future however.

IMHO a peristaltic pump is the bee's knees - ideally one that can run multiple tubes, with variable speed and reverse. With a two-tube pump, you can run a perfect fly sparge, and if it should stick, you can stuff it into reverse for a minute. Self-priming, no crevices, etc. You can even avoid needing to put fittings in the bottom of pots and tuns, since the pump will suck up with no fuss. New they can be right up in this price range, used can be more reasonable.

Stainless heat exchangers work fine if the stainless is thin and the area is large. For the same geometry copper conducts heat much, much better, but making a stainless coil work is simply a matter of engineering it - thinner wall tubing, more length of tubing, etc.

I recall a month or so ago on ebay someone or company had many different end of time to "buy it now" adds on stainless coil heat exchangers that looked machine manufactured. Full on pro manufactured coils. I recall something like .031" or .037" wall thickness in 3/8" and 1/2", 25' or 50'. I may be off on the 1/2" size but recall the 50', this is a large surface area compared to the heat loss vs copper. I still have a figure of $85 in my head as I was looking at several different stainless cooler coil threads.
Many times after "end of sale" ebay will drop the add not just close it, i've not checked back lately. The only problem I see with the 50' coil it's rather tall and you would have to have a 10 plus gallon batch filled keggle to completely submerge the coils. If using bigger and shorter pot brewing more coils will be exposed defeating the cooling effect you. I was thinking a large low profile coil diameter with a smaller diameter inner coil to keep the low profile to stay submerged even with a 5 gallon batch boil.

Latest posts

Back