Lancaster Hop Hog IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivan Lendl

Reaction score
Hmmm...is that cascades hops? Im thinking maybe cascades are grown by wal-mart? Are thier any beers that arent hopped with cascade?

Anyway this is a good beer, bitterness is on the low side for my tastes, but it has a nice malty backbone (victory malt?) Nice risidual sweetness too, and sweet color.

Bjorn Borg said:
Hmmm...is that cascades hops? Im thinking maybe cascades are grown by wal-mart? Are thier any beers that arent hopped with cascade?

i wonder the same thing sometimes. try some amerivcan versions of english IPAs for variety. they tend to keep the balance on the hops as with AIPAs, but showcase a english hop character.

The last couple times I had Hop Hog, it has a really nasty grassiness to it. I had it on tap at Green Leaf prior to that, and it tasted fine to me.

As per Drengel's recommendation, have you ever had any beers from the St George brewery in Hampton? They make great beers, and their IPA is a good "British" style. Very nice.

I like that hop, but finding an American IPA that doesn't use it is like trying to find a Red Zin. It's hard to believe, it isn't even in the top five for US hops production. Grassy tends to mature out in my experience.

david_42 said:
I like that hop, but finding an American IPA that doesn't use it is like trying to find a Red Zin. It's hard to believe, it isn't even in the top five for US hops production. Grassy tends to mature out in my experience.

not in the top 5? man, what is then.

drengel said:
not in the top 5? man, what is then.

US Top 5:
1. Zeus
2. Willamette
3. Columbus/Target
4. Galena
5. Nugget

Read this: US HOPS REPORT

Even though Caascade isn't in the top 5, it is kind of misleading information.
You've got to consider what hops the "Big" breweries use, which takes up a good chunk of acreage, then you need to consider exports.

FWIW, It is rumored that Zeus is the hop that Coors uses, Bud uses Willamette, who is also beginning experimentation with Glacier. You'll notice Glacier production jumped significantly in 2004-2005.

Dude's right. I wouldn't surprised, though, if 90% of IPAs use Cascades. I just checked 17 west coast IPAs and the only one that doesn't use Cascades is Rogue Tracktown IPA from their Eugene brewery.

thats crazy, bud uses willamette? isnt that an american grown seedless fuggle hop?

i was reading terry fosters 'pale ale' book and he said something about how 90 percent of ALL english breweries CLAIM they use challenger hops, yet challenger hops account for only like 10 percent of hops produced in england...

hmm, somethings fishy...

I found it more interesting that Coors is tied with Zeus. It makes sense though, higher alphas would mean using less hops which equals saving money. Typical big 3 thinking.

Back