Moment of Silence please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbo

Beer is good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The Idiot Lawn guys the HOA hired killed my Cascade plant with a weed eater 3 weeks ago.. So I clearly marked my remaing 3 plants with Dowels next to them.. two weeks ago the riding mower guy took out the Tetnang and it's dowel (sm pieces all over the yard) So I put little signs by my Goldings and Hallertauer saying "These are not weeds! DO NOTCUT!"

Came home yesterday and both were "weed eated" the signs in place.. I went ballistic on the supervisor today and was politely told the guy with the weed eater doesn't speak english and couldn't read the sign....

I am sponsoring a moment of Silence for my lost plants, then I am going to go Off on the Lawn service and HOA.. Anyone know a lawyer in MD that's cheap? I am going to stop paying the lawn service fee on the grounds they breached contract by not fertilizing this year and the only "weeds" they cut were my hops..the rest of the weeds are alive and well.

It will get ugly.

Oh for crying out loud!! It's time to tell these folks the money potential of the crop they destroyed. Four plants at say 3#'s potential harvest each at 25 years of life expectancy and figuring $3 an oz that's about $10,000 if they had been grown to sell!! That figure could easily double in that time frame for inflation and such. Not to mention the grief you must be going thru not being able to throttle the stupid SOB's. I hope you find a lawyer that can help you out.

You did make the service compensate for the damaged/destroyed plants, I hope.

Chances are they may sprout back up this year or next but, they don't know that and you can't be certain til' they do.

I'd go after their wallet for cost of replacement damages. You'll assured that "weed eater" can read in english after that.

Man I'd be so pissed if that happened, thats one of the many storieds I have heard which are why I will never buy a house in a subdivision with an HOA. If they were doing well they when hacked down they will probably sprout back up this yr though, assuming the idiots dont keep weed whacking them.

Lawn guys should be well educated on preserving garden and decorative plants. If you hire a guy that isn't and don't train him, then you're negligent. Go get 'em.

If the bines had a good start this year I'm sure they'll come back next year, as long as they didn't dig them up. And I agree, chicken wire and maybe some signs with Spanish and American written on them saying DO NOT REMOVE

Man, that is f**ked up. It's hard work looking after hops, and to have someone take a piss on your efforts like that is out of order :mad: Hope they get back on track next year.

Wait, the knuckleheads weedwhacked and mowed down 12' (twelve foot) bines????

Considering hops are grown for ornamental purposes, they should have known since they are in the trade in some form.

Deninitely go after the landscaper!

Man that sucks. I would be ready to strangle someone. I agree, put up some chicken wire and signs in Spanish and English. You can never be too clear.

"Common sense is not so common" -Voltaire

warning_coffee_mug.jpg

Post this sign:

Oye bastardo perezoso. Yo le miro. Si usted daña mis plantas otra vez yo soltaré mis perros en usted. Si usted sobrevive eso, yo le arrastraré a la oficina local de inmigraciones.

Sorry about your plants man. Thant really sucks! I would certainly try and get repalcement cost from the landscaper. Even if they come back next year, ou didn't get to enjoy the fruits of your labor this year, they owe you for that. You went through reasonable means to mark the plants, you shouldn't have to print signs in Spanish, but in this day and age you probably have to. Hope everything works out

if the idiot couldn't read why didn't he ask his super when there were signs next to plants???? just stoopid and the classic dodge no habla engles senor

Post this sign:

Oye bastardo perezoso. Yo le miro. Si usted daña mis plantas otra vez yo soltaré mis perros en usted. Si usted sobrevive eso, yo le arrastraré a la oficina local de inmigraciones.

LMFAO..

That sucks about the hops and is Complete BS. English or not, you see a sign around a plant, WTF do you think it says, please mow this **** down. :rolleyes:

Post this sign:
That just BLOWS.
That is assuming (you know make an a$$ out of u and me that way). the person can even read in any language. I don't think we are talking about an experienced ornamental horticulturist here. I would make such a stink over something like this, of course the board members probably have cement for their backyards so everything is fine for them and they don't like other people with "smelly plants" around them.
Get a good lier, I mean cheap lawyer and chew em up a bit.

Post this sign:

All that can be boiled down to two words; La Migra!!!

We lost our hops too - it looks like they were sprayed with weed killer so they definitely WON'T be coming back, not even next year. I feel ya - it sucks. :(

I have no experience with an HOA, don't even know what it is. I live on a lake and fight forming a "lake association" every few years. Sounds like the same thing. If there is any provision for you to care for your own lawn, I'd spend a couple hundred on a push mower and weed eater to do so.

I can't imagine paying someone to mow for me, and I mow about four acres every week.

If it were me I'd go after the lawn service, but knowing the kind of people that form lake associations (if it's similar), you probably won't get far. You'll be shunned by the neighbors who live 8 feet from you, and the next item at the association meeting will be a rule against members groing climbing plants.

That said, sorry about your plants. If they were 12 ft. tall they will be back next year. I live in MI and most of the vertical growth is finished for the year here.

That bites man. I have mine in raised beds just for that very reason. Well no one cuts my lawn except for me but its so I dont accidentaly weed wack them :)

I just joined today, so have little backgroud HERE.....but...I can say you can sue the company for the loss of your profits due to their negligence......I have indeed bowed my head for your loss.....

cathie

That really sucks. I especially feel for BrewWench whos plants were outright murdered.

:off:
HOA = Home Owner's Association. A perfect example of how badly we need to be led. There just aren't enough levels of beauracracy telling us how to live; we need to appoint self-important potentates to tell us what we can, or can't, do with our own property.

HOA = Home Owner's Association. A perfect example of how badly we need to be led. There just aren't enough levels of bureaucracy telling us how to live; we need to appoint self-important potentates to tell us what we can, or can't, do with our own property.

lmao...

what he said. :D

Sorry to hear you lost your plants.

I'd really raise some hell over that. The HOA shouldn't be hiring such incompetent (and illegal) landscapers.

I'm fascinated that there is not a single first hand account about the ethnicity or legal residence status of the landscaper and yet somehow we have determined that they are illegal.

Put down your pitchforks and torches.

I'll throw down a plausible explanation that doesn't require painting with such a wide brush.

If the hops were grown on property that the HOA maintains, the covenants of the HOA require them to maintain (my supposition) a finite variety of plants. The HOA has a desire to keep things in the community consistent and vanilla so as not to offend anyone (think McDonalds).

Our HOA, if it can be believed, does not have native AZ trees on its list and so wildly growing saplings of mesquite are routinely hatcheted.

I think that the HOA may have cut your hops on purpose or at the request of another homeowner.
I think the landscape guys are being scapegoated and if the hops were planted on the community property, (Again, my assumption based on the fact that the HOA maintains that area) then you rolled the dice and lost.

OP, Please correct me if any of my assumptions were incorrect.

Pave stones or large river rocks across the front or as a border around the bed. You must protect the hops at all costs!

Just because the guy can’t read English why does everyone assume he speaks Spanish? You guys are all a bunch of stereotyping mofos. With that said I agree with ollllo about the HOA cutting them down on purpose.

King, are you in the US? Most landscaping jobs are filled by either red blooded amurricans that speak English only, or migrant workers from mexico. There's very little in between. And +1 on getting in on the HOA's ass. Hates. them.

Update:
The Cascade and Hallertauer have come back (very small but they have leaves)... I put steel spikes next to them to prevent the mower and weedeater.. I sent a notice to the HOA that I wish to opt out of the lawn service and will no longer pay for it.. It is up to them to sue, If I sue them I'm paying out of pocket.. If they sue me for not paying, my company provided legal insurance will cover my defense. :rockin:

I think we're making this too complicated.
Stop.jpg
should work just fine, but you have to have the visual aspect.

However, I do wonder about olllllo's suggestion, I think it has a solid foundation of reasonable suspicion.

My sister used to live in a HOA neighborhood. I'll never repeat her mistake. Lawn Nazis! Lawn Nazis I say!

I suspect that any areas that are NOT hardscaped are considered landscape and shall be maintained in accordance with HOA rules. Your best bet would be to try to grow them on your patio, if you have one, in pots.

Back