Is the keg ready to drink??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
I have been off the forum for a few months now, Got a new motorcycle and have been working on it alot. I wanted to know if my cream stout may be ready yet. I put it into the Corny keg about 2 1/2 weeks ago and it was primed with corn sugar(boiled of course), then I charged it with a Co2 cylinder and have let it sit since then. I have let out a little pressure just to see if it is sealed properly and it seems good. This is my first time using a keg. do you guys think it will be ready to drink this weekend??

Never carbonated with sugar in the corny but I'd suspect so. I'd be hooking it onto the CO2 now at around 10-12psi though...

Probably so. You can always force carbonate it by chilling it and leaving it under 12 pounds of pressure for a few days. Much quicker and easier than priming, since you need a CO2 source to serve the beer anyway.

In any event, just try one. That's the only way to know. Just pour yourself one ;)

well I do not have a co2 tank just the small chargers, to seal them and to serve the beer. I will be getting the co2 tank shortly after I see how the brew turns out. This cream stout should be pretty good.

Well, you can steal half a pint and hit it with another charger without any problems...just to see where it's at with the conditioning.

You'll definitely be happier in the long run with a regular CO2 tank. CO2 is really handy in a lot of ways. Cheers :D

Janx, thanks for the fast reply. I appreciate it and love this forum for the great info and help offered. I will try some and see where it is at.

Yep, I used one of those CO2 guns temporarily until I got my CO2 tank and regulator. First time I hit it with CO2 with the gun I blew the pressure relief valve. YIKES... that means that little thing put over 120-130 PSI in the corny real quick like.

It did work though, after I learned to only let a little CO2 in. But after getting the real deal setup I would only use that for bring my keg somewhere. Force carbing is great.

Back