here is a strange one

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anderj

Reaction score
I brewed my first AG batch on feb 29 (18 days ago)

10 gal porter

I used two different yeasts (Wyeast 1084 and Wyeast 1338, Irish ale and European ale respectively)

I have a previous post regarding the stuck fermentation in the carboy with the 1338

OG was 1.060 even and after two weeks one was down to 1.018 and the other stuck at 1.032. OK, standard stuck fermentation problem.

I pitched a pack of Nottingham a week ago to help it finish off.

Here comes the weird part, yesterday before work I noticed that the air lock was bubbling a lot more that it had during the past week. I took a hydro reading and it was at 1.026, not great but whatever at this point.

When I got home from work last night I checked the beer and it had blown out!
Yeast was everywhere, all over the floor and the t-shirt covering the carboy.
There have been no significant temp changes.

WTF, three weeks in and a blowout? Checked the SG today and it was at 1.023.

So do you think that the beast awoke and became un-stuck? It is currently bubbling away and the fresh airlock I put in this morning (third since last night) is all full of yeast again. I am super confused and all my blow-off tubes are in use with other carboys right now.

anyone out there ever have anything similar happen?

spontaneous un-sticking of fermentation?

again, WTF
-ander

anderj said:
I pitched a pack of Nottingham a week ago to help it finish off.

I used Nottingham on my honey amber and got some SERIOUS activity for the first 2 days. I put a blowoff tube in to be sure but man that stuff was very ALIVE!!

I would think your SG would be lower based on the activity you are seeing. It does seem wierd. Are you using a refractometer or a hydrometer to get the readings.

i've got a carboy of white labs burton ale yeast. it's on it's 4th or 5th run now. every ferment has been quiet for three days, then the yeast comes pouring out of the airlock.

CEMaine said:
I used Nottingham on my honey amber and got some SERIOUS activity for the first 2 days. I put a blowoff tube in to be sure but man that stuff was very ALIVE!!

The odd part is that I pitched the Nottingham a week ago

Back