About to spend six months in little rock. Any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisbeer

Reaction score
I will be traveling for a project starting in August. I have never been to Arkansas but I have heard there are some good places for hunting and fishing. But hopefully someone local can chime in and give me some info on a couple of things.

Where is the good beer around little rock. Microbreweries to check out?

Homebrew store for supplies?

Where is the best place to stay? I will be working on the east side by 440 and the arkansas river. I don't mind a long commute ~1 hour if needed(I live in Houston, you get used to it). I was looking at some pay by the month apartments namely The Grove at Pleasant valley and Carrington Park. they offer short term lease furnished apartments. I have no clue if these places are decent and safe. Just two I found online.

Best beer bars and food?

Thanks!

Fermentables in North Little Rock for homebrew supplies. Go to the Flying Saucer downtown (200+ beers on tap) for beer. Diamond bear has a couple of decent brews, Vino's is a pretty good brewpub. Avoid Stone's Throw; they keep putting out subpar brews just because people will buy them for the novelty. Brandon's distillery makes okay stuff, but their whiskey tastes way too young for my tastes. As for places to stay, I haven't rented in LR in over 10 years so can't help much. Avoid anything south of Asher avenue to rent is my only advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You're welcome. Was there any particular cuisine you were looking for that I could recommend restaurants?

If you can afford it and don't want a long commute stay in West Little Rock or Maumelle. There are several nice towns out side of Little Rock, but I don't know if any offer furnished apartments. Just don't stay in South/Southwest Little rock. Pleasant Valley is a nice area. Not sure about the other. There are tons of good places to eat. Your coming at a great time. The craft beer scene is exploding right now and almost every decent restaurant has some craft beer available. Whole Hog is definitely the best BBQ. Cajuns Warf is a little pricey, but worth it. Boscos has good beer and good food. Flying Fish is great. Crazy Mikes for wings, po boys, fish, and shrimp. My absolute favorite place to go is The Pantry. Eastern European cuisine and a great selection of craft beer. The food is excellent. Feel free to PM me with any questions. I've lived in central Arkansas all my life and know the area pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'll second the Pantry although the staff can be a little uppity at times.

Thanks guys. What are the must try local beers around town?

The Double Presidential IPA from Diamond Bear. Vino's has a good stout and a good wheat on tap. Diamond Bear's Porter used to be one of my faves but I think they have changed the recipe recently. Have not been to Bosco's recently enough to advise you on theirs.

The only diamond bear beer I like us their pale ale. The two term isn't bad. I haven't been to vino's in years but have only heard good things. Their brewmaster just left to open his own brewery, so vinos might be hit or miss for awhile until the new guy figures out the system and recipes. I haven't been to boscos in 6 months or so, but everything I've had from them has been descent. Stones Throw is kinda hit or miss for me. I've had a few beers that were great and others that I hated. I can't really recommend a beer from them because they are constantly rotating their taps.
Now as far as beers to try. I'd say any thing from Piney River. They are a little brewery on the MO AR border. Everything I've had of theirs has been great. Their Missouri mule Ipa and masked bandit black ipa are great. Hot Date is another favorite. There are 2 breweries from north west AR that distribute here. Core and Saddlebock. Core's black lightning and imperial red are good. I like their pilsner as well. I haven't tried much of anything from saddlebock.

Perfect chance to come to Little Rocktoberfest! I will have the dates, time, and location posted here in a bit.

I can say that Whole Hog is definitely a good BBQ place. I enjoy Vino's as well as Flying Saucer. I have never had Bosco's so I can't tell you how they are but I have heard good things.

As for Homebrewing supplies, Fermentables is by far the place to go. The workers know what they are talking about and are very friendly.

Perfect chance to come to Little Rocktoberfest! I will have the dates, time, and location posted here in a bit.

I can say that Whole Hog is definitely a good BBQ place. I enjoy Vino's as well as Flying Saucer. I have never had Bosco's so I can't tell you how they are but I have heard good things.

As for Homebrewing supplies, Fermentables is by far the place to go. The workers know what they are talking about and are very friendly.

This reminds me that I need to make my pumpkin beer for Rocktoberfest.

Just a specialty ale with real pumpkin added to the boil and vanilla extract and pumpkin pie spice as late additions. Usually brew it for Halloween anyway so was going to brew up a keg and send it up with a buddy. Think I have to work that night.

Toad Suck Buck's!!!!

I would also recommend slipping up to Fayetteville for a weekend and doing a Pub Crawl there!

I would also recommend slipping up to Fayetteville for a weekend and doing a Pub Crawl there!

+1 I haven't done it yet, but I've heard it's a lot of fun. There's even a tour bus that does tours to all the breweries now.

Definitely interested in that. Sounds like fun. I will have to get used to apartment brewing as I have never done it. Switching from fly sparging to BIAB. I will be heading down this sunday. I got an apartment at Fountaine Bleau Apartment by Maumelle. Decent area? Anything close by to do?

There's a few really good ones but I'd say the biggest selection is at Colonial Wine & Spirits on Markham.

Definitely interested in that. Sounds like fun. I will have to get used to apartment brewing as I have never done it. Switching from fly sparging to BIAB. I will be heading down this sunday. I got an apartment at Fountaine Bleau Apartment by Maumelle. Decent area? Anything close by to do?

Rocktoberfest is a blast. I started doing BIAB last year because of lack of space when I moved. I actually prefer it to all grain now. If you want to get together and brew sometime let me know. I'm about 30-40 minutes from maumelle.

I grabbed a couple 4 packs from piney river. I got Missouri mule IPA and masked bandit black IPA. I haven't tried them yet but plan to tonight. I like the growler filling station we need more of those back home.

Starting at 11am tomorrow, Springhill Liqour in North Little Rock will be filling growlers of KBS.

I thought I would post this in here to. My project is up and I'm headed home. But I can't take the beer with me. No room for it. So I'm giving it away to someone that can pick it up tonight as I will be gone tomorrow. my other post is copied below.....

Needs to be picked up tonight as I will be gone tomorrow. Lots of really good beer. 1 Pliny the elder, 3 zombie dust, 2 almanac sours (Ross e Marrone and dog patch sour) bells expedition stout, bourbon county, boulevard hibiscus gose, a few left overs from the beer camp release, st Arnolds pumpkinator, jester king wunderkind! Kollaboration and mad meg, surly over rated, some bomb! And bible belt. Any takers? I know it's unlikely on short notice but it sure would be easier for me.

I thought I would post this in here to. My project is up and I'm headed home. But I can't take the beer with me. No room for it. So I'm giving it away to someone that can pick it up tonight as I will be gone tomorrow. my other post is copied below.....

Needs to be picked up tonight as I will be gone tomorrow. Lots of really good beer. 1 Pliny the elder, 3 zombie dust, 2 almanac sours (Ross e Marrone and dog patch sour) bells expedition stout, bourbon county, boulevard hibiscus gose, a few left overs from the beer camp release, st Arnolds pumpkinator, jester king wunderkind! Kollaboration and mad meg, surly over rated, some bomb! And bible belt. Any takers? I know it's unlikely on short notice but it sure would be easier for me.

How late is to late? I get off work at 11.

Hope you have plenty of room!

1422767602579-584906593.jpg

Latest posts

Back