BeerSwap III SuperiorBrew's Beers:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperiorBrew

Reaction score
P= Pumpkin Spice Ale
C = Canadian Ale
H = Honey Weizen
F = Old Flat Tire
The micros are to help wash my noob beers down :)

SB’s Honey Weizen

AROMA:
Immediately smelled the banana when I popped the top. Clean smelling and very pleasant. Not a noticeable clove aroma and acceptable (style) levels of a bubble gum smell. Very clean smelling. 10/12

APPEARANCE
Light golden with typical wheat haze. Nice and bright looking. No head when poured and no lacing suggesting undercarb’d. A beautiful color that would have benefited from a nice frothy white head…typical of a weizen. 2/3

FLAVOR
The flavor sure lived up to the aroma. A very nice up front sweetness with just enough of a bitter balance. The banana was very prevalent (and pleasant). There was a mid-swallow tartness…probably from the yeast…different, but still within style guidelines. Unfortunately the lack of carbonation detracted from the overall flavor. The effervescing is kind of the fourth component of a Weizen and without it, the tartness was free to kind of dominate. Good malt….good bitterness…good flavoring…just needed the “bubbles”. 13/20

MOUTHFEEL
Low carbonation hurt the mouthfeel here. It was a crisp tasting beer and had a nice “feel” that matched the sweet flavor. I’m thinking that some cara would have helped the head, lacing and overall mouthfeel. 3/5

OVERALL
Very drinkable and I didn’t hesitate to pound it. I’d certainly have another. I suspect the carbonation would have affected three of the four scores above quite a bit. 6/10

If this were my brew and I were going to tweak the recipe (you may have done all these things):
~ Protein rest at 122
~ Get the kegged beer up to a 13PSI 2 days before bottling
~ Freeze the bottles you’re going to fill.
~ Bleed the keg pressure and set the PSI down to 5 to fill bottles.
~ Add ½ pound of carapils for better head retention.

Overall, 34/50.

Nice job.

SB’s Pumpkin Spice Ale

AROMA:
Clean smelling. A faint aroma of pumpkin spice. Almost like someone baked a pumpkin pie…yesterday. Barely inviting and certainly not overpowering. 9/12

APPEARANCE
Perfect Pumpkin color. Medium to dark amber and nearly clear with an acceptable level of chill haze. This one poured very nicely with a decent head that faded away after 1-2 minutes. Very little lacing on the glass. Too bad because the head was a nice color and would have looked “attractive” all the way through the drink. Again, maybe some carapils next time helps you hold that head throughout. 2/3

FLAVOR
What the aroma lacked, the flavor made up for. Fantastic spice profile. Seriously…like I just licked the bowl from a pumpkin pie mix. A nice sweetness and the hops were restrained, but did a nice job of balancing with some clean bitterness. I like a malty beer and this one was nice.15/20

MOUTHFEEL
Good “chewy” mouthfeel. Just what you want in a winter spice beer. The effervescing faded quickly though and while the head looked nice up front, the lack of bubbles in suspension were made evident about 2/3rds the way through. Crisp bite to the beer suggested it was well attenuated, despite the malty profile.4/5

OVERALL
Very enjoyable beer. I did get the feeling this one could have use another 2-3 weeks to let the flavors come together as “one”. But…who among us can say we do that all the time ;). Again, the higher carbonation would probably have helped…though this one was very close to properly carb’d. 6/10

If this were my brew and I were going to tweak the recipe (you may have done all these things):
~ Get the kegged beer up to a 13PSI 2 days before bottling
~ Freeze the bottles you’re going to fill.
~ Bleed the keg pressure and set the PSI down to 5 to fill bottles.
~ Add ½ pound of carapils for better head retention.

Overall, 36/50.

Nice job.

I notice BM reviewed this beer and I intentionally did not look at it as to not cloud my intial perception.

Appearance:

The beer poured nicely with a 3/8" white head that subsided to a thin haze quickly. Brilliantly clear light copper beer.

Aroma:

The first thing I get is malt, no hops and not much else but as I gave it a chance to effervesse and warm up, I get a very subtle pumpkin spice aroma. It's very restrained and I was really only able to pick up on it after my first sip (got the aroma through my nose in reverse). Nice.

Flavor:

Pretty well balanced but leaning more towards malty vs. hoppy. Very low bitterness. Slight alcohol warmth at the end of the swallow. It reminds me a little of an ale version of a Vienna Lager. It has a pleasant clean finish.

Mouthfeel:

Leans towards chewy, fully body, just what I'd expect for an autumn beer. Perfect carbonation on this one also.

This is a good beer. I could drink a few pints of this in one sitting easily. It goes well with a crackling fire in the fireplace and I'd def be interested in brewing this one myself. Good work. If I could change one thing, I'd back off on the alcohol level a tiny bit just to make it more of a session beer, but that's just personal preference.

Appearance:

The beer poured with a 1/4" white head that subsided quickly to not even a haze line (undercarbed a bit). Hazy pale straw, slightly golden color.

Aroma:

Fruity/Citrus/Peach is the first thing I think of but there's a bit of solvent/alcohol burn on the nose as well. Little to no hop aroma.

Flavor:

Tastes a little sweet but alcohol "hot" at the same time. No hop flavor (which I wouldn't expect). It's fruity, maybe "peachy" if I had to nail it down, that matches the slight peach aroma I get.

Mouthfeel:

Leans towards dry/thin probably based on the honey's full fermentation and the lack of pronounced carbonation. Would be much more drinkable at higher carb levels.

Overall, I think this beer is average. The two flaws are lack of carbonation and too much fusel (at least for my taste). In order to improve this one, I'd reduce the OG a bit and drop the ferment temp to avoid the alcohol hotness which I think is a little over the top for a wheat.

SB’s Canadian Ale

AROMA:
Clean smelling. Little discernable aroma but a slight malt tone. Has a nice “Amber” aroma.9/12

APPEARANCE
Nice rich head on the pour. Amber in color and pretty darn clear. The head was a cream to almost white and held on for most of the session. Nice lacing. This one had great carbonation.2/3

FLAVOR
Very nice tasting beer. Seemed typical to an American Amber style. Nice malt and a slight spice bite from the hops. Very well balanced. Reminded me a lot of my house amber.17/20

MOUTHFEEL
Great mouthfeel. Creamy but light and effervescant. Rich and refreshing. Just the right amountof carbonation for this style. 5/5

OVERALL
Very enjoyable beer. No real flaws to detect. I like a malty style and this was very good. This is typical of a lot of house ales at some of the local pubs. A nice drinkable amber 8/10

Overall, 41/50.

Nice job...

Mmmm

Aroma:
Mild, but distinct baking banana bread/oatmeal raisin cookie baking. Maybe a little molassas. I can tell it's going to taste good just by smelling it. I don't think it detracts much from the beer, but there's an odd aroma in the background that I just can't identify.

Appearance:
Brilliantly clear, pale copper hue. Good head that dissapated to a foam haze that sticks around.

Flavor:
Nice and smooth, extremely balanced. Fruity esters dectable and pleasant. This is a easy drinking beer with very little alcohol hotness. I'd imagine it was fermented on the cooler side of the yeast's range. It's got a clean finish that you'd expect from a lager.

Mouthfeel:
Creamy. Nice.

Overall:
I'm no BJCP judge and I'm miles away from being able to accurately describe and rate a beer, but this is a really good beer. I'd even say it's one of the best homebrews I've ever had. Recipe me man.

Bobby_M said:
Mmmm

Aroma:
Mild, but distinct baking banana bread/oatmeal raisin cookie baking. Maybe a little molassas. I can tell it's going to taste good just by smelling it. I don't think it detracts much from the beer, but there's an odd aroma in the background that I just can't identify.

Appearance:
Brilliantly clear, pale copper hue. Good head that dissapated to a foam haze that sticks around.

Flavor:
Nice and smooth, extremely balanced. Fruity esters dectable and pleasant. This is a easy drinking beer with very little alcohol hotness. I'd imagine it was fermented on the cooler side of the yeast's range. It's got a clean finish that you'd expect from a lager.

Mouthfeel:
Creamy. Nice.

Overall:
I'm no BJCP judge and I'm miles away from being able to accurately describe and rate a beer, but this is a really good beer. I'd even say it's one of the best homebrews I've ever had. Recipe me man.

It was my First brew, Some bottles didnt carb so I ended up dumping them into a keg and force carbing them. Dont know what happened, I used the proper ammount of sugar and stirred it in well etc. I think the cold conditioning dropped too much of the yeast out.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Canadian Ale
Brewer: SuperiorBrew
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (40.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 8.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.3 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 85.71 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 14.29 %
0.75 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.6 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (2 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs GF All American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (45 minutes @ 170)

Notes:
------
Primary 10 days at 66-68
Secondary for 2days at 66-68
Secondary for 12 days at 36-38
Bottle conditioned for 2 weeks. Not carbed well so dumped bottles into keg and conditioned for 2 more weeks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm assuming this is a New Belgium Fat Tire clone.

Appearance:
Dark Amber but otherwise clear (no haze). Small offwhite head that dissipated quickly to very mild lacing.

Aroma:
Mostly malt, caramel and chocolate overtone and slightly floral from the hops.

Flavor:
What I expected from the malt aroma. Caramel and Chocolate malt flavors. Very little alcohol, no burn. It tastes almost like what you'd expect an ale version of an Oktoberfest to taste like. I would place a small bet on this brew containing Caramunich or Caravienne malt.

Mouthfeel:
Creamy but not cloying.

Overall.
Great beer for when you're not in the mood for over-the-top hops. It's a little more malty sweet (thick) than I recall Fat Tire being, but it stands alone as great beer regardless.

Back