Why are my hops minty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanfordBrewer

Reaction score
I have 15 first-year hop plants -eight different varieties -growing in my yard in Florida. I am mostly done harvesting, and they all smell very minty, even after dried and stored. Does anyone know what would cause mint to be the dominant character?

Because hops and mint are in the same family. As is cannabis. Something may have triggered off the scent in a different way. Or it could be the type of hop? What types are they?

"Because hops and mint are in the same family."
I don't even think that they are closely enough related to be classified in the same botanical order.

Hops = family Cannabaceae
Mint = family Lamiaceae

Hops are incredible plants that create a range of scents. Everything from pine to citrus and smoke. Since all your plants were first years, I wouldn't worry too much. I've found that cones from immature plants - especially, when picked too soon - can have a slight minty scent.

I agree that you can't rely on first year hop plants to create the typical characteristics of the variety you planted. Year two STARTS to get into the typical characteristics and year three are most of the way there. Obviously this is going to vary by environment, growing conditions, harvest timing, drying, and several other factors, but generally speaking: year one are tossers if you want, year two are so-so to decent, and year three are close to what's expected. At least, that's what I've experienced with the hops I've planted over the past five years.

They are Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Nugget, Mount Hood, Sterling, Tettnang, and Willamette. All the rhizomes came from the Yakima Valley, but I'm growing them in Florida, which everyone says isn't possible. I just brewed my first batch of home-grown, half a pound of hops, IPA on sunday. They smelled less minty in the kettle than in my hands.

Back