New Project!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea

Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was just given an 80 gal stainless tank, 20" in diameter, 60" long, with a slight concave at each end. It will need some serious cleaning, but I'm thinking 20 gal HLT, 20 gal MLT, and what's left in the middle for the cylindrical part of a connical or two.

What would you all do?

I'd post pics if I had any idea how! Seriously, I'm a little computer illiterate if someone wants to explain it....

You'll need to do some serious welding, but I'd go for it. The easiest way to post pics is to get an account at a site such as photobucket, and you can upload pics from your computer. Once you do that, under the pick, it will give you a website address where the picture is. Then when you post, click on insert picture and put in that address.

9846-100_2680_thumb.jpg
[/IMG]

Here's the beast!

This will probably take me a while, but then, what project doesn't (unless you're Yuri)?

That is awesome. You may find that there is more going on inside than just a regular old tank. Perhaps a double wall with insulation between? Maybe a big colling coil? I swear it's like Christmas:)

shafferpilot said:
That is awesome. You may find that there is more going on inside than just a regular old tank. Perhaps a double wall with insulation between? Maybe a big colling coil? I swear it's like Christmas:)

I know what you mean, and I'll post pics of the inside now that I know how (kind of). However, I'm pretty sure that it will just have a dip tube inside, as it is from a solar water heating system called the Solahart, which has the heat exchanger wrapped around the outside of the tank (already removed).

So it probably had glycol (anti-freeze) in it. clean, clean, clean, clean, then clean some more! Wish I had friends that handed out stuff like this

Actually, it just held domestic water (lucky). In this particular design, the Glycol was contained in the flat tube heat exchanger wrapped around the outside of the tank.

I work for an alternative energy company, and we get things like this from time to time. I'll let everyone know when another one comes through, as I won't be in need of it.

Since You'll have to weld legs on anyways, start thinking of how the burner could be mounted directly under the tank. It would be really slick to have the mount for the burner integrated into the stand:rockin:

Latest posts

Back