SNA/ Aerating pyment, cyser, braggot etc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIMARIPA

Reaction score
I do the SNA with vigorous aeration for pure meads and methelgins (and i avoid the question with melomels by only adding fruit to secondary), but with other types of meads where honey is only part of the fermentables (such as pyment/ cyser/ braggot) what is a reasonable approach to nutrient addition and aeration? With pure styles of wine/ cider/ beer aeration is strictly prohibited, but does the the addition of honey change this? Can I reduce or avoid the addition of nutrients because of the nutrients already present in the grape juice/ cider/ wort? What is your approach/ experience with these types of brew?

Give it a good swirl every day for a week, it's not going to hurt it. I swirl all my batches and i've never had a failed batch of mead because of it. It will help get the co2 away from your yeast and get the o2 to it a little. Just a light swirl for about 10-30 seconds is all you need. I always put in a bit of nutrient and energizer, but only half with melomels, cysers, etc. I have yet to have a problem with it.

I agree with pvt.

While it's not necessary for a braggot because of the wort (depending on the ratio of malt/honey), it certainly won't hurt it. It also depends on the gravity; for a really high gravity it is fairly common practice to add an additional shot of 02 later in the fermentation.

Adding some nutrients won't hurt it at all, but recipes with a fair amount of malt don't necessarily need it.

Wine making usually call for nutrients and aeration (even white wines in most cases) to ensure complete fermentation. I use aeration and staggered nutrients in ciders with good results, and in a high gravity braggots I'd use some SNA and some aeration as well. Although most barely wines wouldn't need nutrients, some early aeration will help them complete fermentation as well.

About the only thing I don't aerate is regular strength beers.

Back