First kegged beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGBrewer

Reaction score
Ok, I filled my first keg today and of course I had to try it out. It is a very simple reciped and I did it as sort of a test to learn what makes what tastes. This was the first beer that I have ever dry-hopped, it tastes just like grapefruit juice. I know you are going to tell me to give it time but I had to ask, appreciate any input.
8lbs light extract
1oz cascade 60min
1oz cascade 2min
1oz cascade dry
Safale US56

NewBrewer25 said:
Ok, I filled my first keg today and of course I had to try it out. It is a very simple reciped and I did it as sort of a test to learn what makes what tastes. This was the first beer that I have ever dry-hopped, it tastes just like grapefruit juice. I know you are going to tell me to give it time but I had to ask, appreciate any input.
8lbs light extract
1oz cascade 60min
1oz cascade 2min
1oz cascade dry
Safale US56

How long in the primary?
Secondary?
How long has it been in the keg or were you just tasting it as you transferred?

Very likely, you've answered your own question.

Cool, flat beer tastes nothing like the cold finished (carb'd) product.

Time and patience.

BierMuncher said:
How long in the primary?
Secondary?
How long has it been in the keg or were you just tasting it as you transferred?

Very likely, you've answered your own question.

Cool, flat beer tastes nothing like the cold finished (carb'd) product.

Time and patience.
1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, kegged then force carbed today, had to try the new kegerator tap. probable about 60 degrees. Am i paranoid?

NewBrewer25 said:
1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, kegged then force carbed today, had to try the new kegerator tap. probable about 60 degrees. Am i paranoid?

Let it chill. Let the CO2 absorb more "finely".

I have the same patience problem. I like to force and drink. You really want the beer completely chilled before you force carb though, it will absorb the CO2 easier.

It will be fine. Each day you taste it, it will get a little more "blended".

I've never used cascade exclusivley so I can't comment on the flavor characteristics.

By the way, here's a quote from someone else on another thread...two common denominators Grapefruit smel and cascade

david_42 said:
My 3CPA has a very strong grapefruit smell (Day 3), which is like vomit. I used a mix of Amarillo, Perl and Cascade for flavor/aroma and was a bit heavy-handed.

The taste is considerable better than vomit, First kegged beer, jumping the gun, I know. What I figure is that if it stays like grapefruit juice I will just have it for breakfast instead of dinner. Thanks for the reassurance.

yeah not sure I have used cascade many time is my pale ales and IPA and never had a problem with it contributing "grapefruit" flavors in my beer.

I have read about grapefruit flavors as a result of contamination.

Best you can do is just be patient. RDWHAHB. see how it turns out in a few weeks!

Back