Any Scary Movies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
I read through the old scariest movies ever thread.

I am looking for some good scarry movies for the halloween week that did not scare you due to situational reasons (IE, you were 12, home alone, etc).

My girlfriend and I are tired of wasting money and time on disappointing or just graphic movies. Paranormal Activity destroyed any confidence we had in the horror film industry.

So are there any genuinely scarry movies in existance that didn't just scare you because of the situation?

Honestly the last movie that actually scared me was certain parts of "I am Legend" which may make some of you think I am a pansy, but since I wasn't expecting it to be creepy at all it gave me the chills. Any suggestions?

Yeah, scary movies blow. I think you have to be half retarded, 12, or home alone to be scared of the crap they're producing these days.

Good luck man,
J

LOL I had never heard of that movie until I was looking around 3 hours ago...and I immediately decided to give it shot.

Thanks for the recommendation!

28 Days Later.. stayed awake for hours after that one

What really scared be and was so depressing too The Road

Lucio Fulci makes a bunch of great horror movies too. I'm a huge fan of cheese with my horror movies. John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness is also classic. Actually anything from John Carpenter rocks except Vampires and Ghosts of Mars. I haven't seen his new one The Ward yet but have heard good things.

I don't have anything relevant to offer, but tonight I just finished watching Paranormal Activity with my better half, so I thought this was a timely thread.

Omg, what a waste of an hour and twenty minutes. Don't bother if you haven't watched it yet.

The 'scary' movies as a genre are cheesy in general to me. It's movie magic; that's all. The background music is what gives the movie the creepy edges, and the eerie time lapse 'let's look unhuman' motion shots annoy the crap out of me.

If you want a real creepy movie, watch a documentary on anything controversial. That should scare the crap out of you.

But if you want a scary movie for a Halloween party, stick with the classics. You'll get a few screams and a whole lot of laughs. I'd much rather people have a good time laughing than being creeped out and spending the night on my couch because they're too scared to drive home.

Maybe that's just me. Good luck in your searching. : )

I am looking for some good scarry movies for the halloween week that did not scare you due to situational reasons (IE, you were 12, home alone, etc).

My girlfriend and I are tired of wasting money and time on disappointing or just graphic movies. Paranormal Activity destroyed any confidence we had in the horror film industry.

So are there any genuinely scarry movies in existance that didn't just scare you because of the situation?

Honestly the last movie that actually scared me was certain parts of "I am Legend" which may make some of you think I am a pansy, but since I wasn't expecting it to be creepy at all it gave me the chills. Any suggestions?

You might be interested in The Fourth Kind, I found several parts of it to be very creepy; made the hair stand up on my neck & sent a shiver down my spine a few times. It's shot in a different format, sometimes combining film reenactments with "archival video" side by side. It's supposedly based on real events. Of course The Exorcist still has some serious creep factor, especially if you've never seen it or haven't seen it in a long time. Regards, GF.

The Road is more of a post-apocalyptic depressor more than a horror/thriller.

The Omen (the original not the recent remake) is good one.
John Carpenters "The Thing" still holds up big time.

Horror movies are one of my weakness's. I have hundreds of them, been collecting them for years now. There are honestly too many to list in one thread. I tend to narrow down my horror movies into sub-genres. I love me some zombie flick, in just about any form. But to me they really aren't scary.

I still believe that the first Alien movie was far ahead of it's time. The feeling of dread, and isolation in that movie is what makes a horror movie scary to me. In the same category, Event Horizon is a great flick IMHO.

I thought the movie Session 9 was alright in the creeps and scares department. Some might disagree.

I could go on for days but I will leave it at that for now.

I thought the movie Session 9 was alright in the creeps and scares department. Some might disagree.

I'll agree.
The sound designer and voice actors that built the 'Mary' sessions stole the show. those scenes alone add so much to the creep factor.

If you are looking for just flat out disturbing but not jump out and scare you find "Human Centpede", or if you don't mind subtitles there is the Japanese "Audition". Both will make you squirm.

I loved John Carpenter's The Thing. Kind of a science fiction action horror flick. Lots of gruesomeness, but not really a slasher.

Aliens was very good. I thought the first one was the creepiest and the second one more action packed. I really enjoyed the science fiction aspect as you get to see the way things were envisioned for the future (some pretty low tech stuff going on there...)

The Omen was creepy. I mean, really creepy!

Eraserhead recently creeped me out. Not really a horror flick, but def creepy!

Fan of the old Nightmare on Elm Street and Poltergeist movies. I really grew out of the scary movie phase now. Not my kind of thing.

No... As an adult I don't find anyhting scary. I quit going back and watching old movies that scared me because they just weren't scary any longer.

It's that time of the year again and I love watching horror movies. Although many of these are no scary, they are all, in my opinion, good horror movies:

-[REC] and [REC] 2 - Spanish movies about zombies/demonic possession. If you don't mind the camcorder jumping around and the subtitles, these are really good.

-Let The Right One In - Another subtitled movie, but it brings back some respect to vampires. The recent American remake Let Me In is good too.

-Trick R Treat - This is in the vein of Tales from the Crypt. Not scary but still a perfect Halloween movie.

-The Thing - This was mentioned before but needs mentioned again. I can't think of a better paranoid thriller with such awesome effects. No CGI in this at all.

-The Shining - I love pulling this one out once a year or so to watch again.

For some reason I am drawing a blank for anymore.

Back