I think I'm in serious trouble!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addicted

Reaction score
I started my first batch of beer eight days ago,have had another batch fermenting for three days and already spent about 600 bucks on equipment.And I'm starting another brew this week too.I'm officially hooked on this hobby!

It happens to the best of us!!!! havent missed week of brewing since i started in feb of last year!

I keep thinking to myself,i have to brew again,i Don't want to run out once i start drinking it!.I drink a lot of beer.

Or buy you second CO2 tank and think, now I need a bigger keezer, and my fermentation chamber isn't large enough...

Welcome aboard!

I started my first batch of beer eight days ago,have had another batch fermenting for three days and already spent about 600 bucks on equipment.And I'm starting another brew this week too.I'm officially hooked on this hobby!

Right there with you, started my first ever homebrew on Jan 1st, my tally so far is $550, got 2 5 gallons in the basement and a Mr Beer in the bathroom going, and have the ingredients for 2 more 5 gallon batches and 1 more Mr Beer batch, and the bottles and tap-a-draft to bottle at least 15 gallons of brew :rockin:

But heck that's what, about 10 cases worth of brew? 550/10/4 = $13.75 per case of beer if I never brew again, that's not much more expensive than a 6 pack at a time for the "good" beers at the beer store (they run from $8-$13 per 6 pack for the good stuff. But now that I have the equipment my CPC (cost per case) should drop (yeah right, just means I'll be upgrading equipment amirite?!?).

Trouble is when you spend the money faster than you can research and save money. I jumped in and have a ton of stuff that was little use. Or for a few dollars more I could have gotten something much better.

this hobby would be something like for me now.
80% research
20% brewing
60% enjoying the final product.

Yea it doesn't add up to 100%. because 1/2 my research time and all of my brewing time I enjoy my brews.

Thats what I thought and every time I go to LHBS I see something new I "need" :rolleyes:

no kidding... I feel like a scene from the old movie "The Jerk". a oxygen set up.. Nothing else... And and this refractmeter... Nothing else... and foodsaver... Nothing else.. and and this digital scale... And nothing else...

jerk1.jpg

*for the younger crowd here's a crappy youtube of it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1el59ig9AK8*

Right there with you too!! Just brewed Mr. Beer on Jan. 2nd and while looking for a beer kit I found a commercial kegerator for $300.. Picked that up, spent another $300 on parts for it, another $100 on corny kegs and adaptors and then I just purchased a starter kit with two 5 gallon extract recipes in it for another $300.. $1000 on a hobby!! My wife is ready to kill me I think.

soo... You are paying ruffly $10 a beer right now... That not bad for a good beer.

(gotta justify it ya know)

soo... You are paying ruffly $10 a beer right now... That not bad for a good beer.

(gotta justify it ya know)

Nice :mug: Now Im trying to talk myself out of buying a 14.5 gallon fermanator for another $200.. Hell of a deal, but not sure if I can even use it at this point.

get it.hell, that doesnt even add $.21 per 10 dollar beer!!!!!
if your going to get cost effective, you have to grow your habit!

Back