Experience with Weyermann "Vienna Red" extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattip

Reaction score
So, while my first attempt is getting better and better in the bottles, and the second is bubbling away in the fermentor, my wife asked me to brew a Brooklyn Lager clone as the next one.

Since winter is coming and we have plenty of places in the house with different temperatures, I thought it might be a good time to try a lager.

So, have anyone tried the Weyermann "Vienna Red" extract? http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte.asp?PN=2&idkat=27&umenue=yes&idmenue=37&sprache=2

It is said to be produced by Vienna Malt, Melanoidin Malt and Pilsner Malt. Would this be a good candidate for a lager that resembles Brooklyn Lager? If so, would it need some specialty grains?

I thought Wyeast 2124 and aim for IBU of about 30 with dry hopping Cascade?

What do you think?

/matti

I hope it is OK to bump this thread. Did noone try this extract? It is supposed to be Vienna malt, Malanoidin malt and Pilsner malt in it.

Would it generally be better to use at lest some steeping grains here, or can I try this LME as it is?

/matti

So, while my first attempt is getting better and better in the bottles, and the second is bubbling away in the fermentor, my wife asked me to brew a Brooklyn Lager clone as the next one.

Since winter is coming and we have plenty of places in the house with different temperatures, I thought it might be a good time to try a lager.

So, have anyone tried the Weyermann "Vienna Red" extract? http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte.asp?PN=2&idkat=27&umenue=yes&idmenue=37&sprache=2

It is said to be produced by Vienna Malt, Melanoidin Malt and Pilsner Malt. Would this be a good candidate for a lager that resembles Brooklyn Lager? If so, would it need some specialty grains?

I thought Wyeast 2124 and aim for IBU of about 30 with dry hopping Cascade?

What do you think?

/matti

I haven't used Weyermann Vienna Red extract...It's really hard to find in the states. I'm sure it would be a good idea to use in Brooklyn Lager. I'm not sure you'd need to add some specialty grains to make it. I might use Hallertau hops in the boil though. Check out this recipe. You might even want to try partial mashing vienna with extra light malt extract to get it right.

Pkgmsu...I think you're out of luck. Try a partial mash!

I haven't used Weyermann Vienna Red extract...It's really hard to find in the states. I'm sure it would be a good idea to use in Brooklyn Lager. I'm not sure you'd need to add some specialty grains to make it. I might use Hallertau hops in the boil though. Check out this recipe. You might even want to try partial mashing vienna with extra light malt extract to get it right.

Pkgmsu...I think you're out of luck. Try a partial mash!

for those that might be looking, i did find a place in Woburn, MA that can get the Weyermann Vienna Red LME for you. The cost is $54 for a jug of 9 lbs. You can call them at 800-523-5423 and ask for Tracie. They can special order it and it takes 2-3 weeks.

storunner, i am going to do just as you suggested, a partial mash with 3 lbs of pilsen light DME, 3 lbs of vienna grains, along with a little munich 10L and some cara.

Very hard to find in the states, but I found 24-1226 Briess Goldpils Vienna LME to be a good equivalent. I found it at homebrewing.org, but the shipping was a bit pricey. Austin Homebrew Supply has it with free shipping over $50, so that's where I'll be getting it from now on. I'm going to be trying it an extract+adjunct versions of Shiner Bock and Negra Modelo clones.

I'm wondering if you could mash some Carared & melanoidin malt to complete the flavors of that LME? Maybe with German pils malt?

Back