Peregrine Golden Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravenhead

Reaction score
Anybody out there ever tried the Peregrine Golden Ale from Mendocino Brewing? Anybody cloned it? The problem is they are no longer producing this beer and it was my buddy's favorite. I wanted to brew a batch for his birthday so any help would be much appreciated.

Todd

No recipe here, but have you emailed the brewery? If they still have the recipe, they might be willing to share, especially since they don't make it anymore.

So Mendocino didn't get back to me... I know I'm impatient... but using BierMuncher's Centennial Blond Ale, what hops subs would you make to get closer to a "California" style?

As an example I probably wouldn't change the Cascade but am not sure where Centennial fits into style. Thanks all.

Todd

Can you describe the original beer? Was it citrusy? Anchor Steam, for example, uses Northern Brewer, which is more woody or rustic, not citrusy, so it would be a classic CA hop that's not in the same vein as cascade and centennial.

I just read some reviews on beeradvocate, and taking their "grassy, earthy, slightly spicy" notes into account along with citrus, I'd say you want to add cascade and northern brewer for your flavor additions, though mostly cascade (maybe all cascade- those reviews of a marginal reliability). IBU's wise, I'd guess that an IBU/OG ratio of .5 to .6 ought to yield a balanced beer. Keep the late hop additions prominent, and you'd have something I'd drink.

The next trick is IBU's.

Back