American Pale Ale Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fermentation looks done on mine as of this morning. Ill check my gravity today or tomorrow and if its where it should be ill start my 6 day dry hop.

Checked my gravity today 1.010 right what i was hoping for. Hydrometer sample tasted incredible. Dumped in an oz of citra and 1\4 oz of cascade (thought i had more than that.) Ill probly bottle this next tuesday giving it 6 days of dry hop.

Honestly this brew wouldve been fine without the dry hop, but i had em, so i dumped em in, and tuesday is the next chance ill have to bottle anyways.

Brewed this one up last night side by side with different pale ale, both 1st attempts at AG. Samples smelled and tasted great! Will be dry-hopping in 3 wks.

Brew-day took a lite longer than usual, with a few minor hiccups for first go at AG. Nothing that couldn't be easily troubleshooted with quick home-brewer thinking. Ended up mistakenly overshooting intended pre-boil water volumes into BK by about a gallon. By end of boil, still had an extra half gallon than we needed, but just went with it. Even with that, still ended up with OG of 1.060, which bro-in-law and I were very happy about getting great efficiency. (First time we've mashed more than 7 lbs).

Can't wait to taste final product! Thanks Yooper for the recipe!

I did a 10.5g batch of this on Sunday (swapping in some homegrown Zeus to personalize it). Got 85% (expecting 75%) so I turned it into 12gal instead. I tossed into onto the S-05 yeast cake from an IIPA and within 2 hours she was rocking. It looked and smelled great so it has the potential to turn out as great as everyone in this thread says it is.

SFGiantsFan925 said:
Anyone try Mosaic in this? Probably going to try Mosaic with Cascade. Primarily Mosaic as I have never used it before.

This malt bill will support just about any mix of American hops you throw at it. I've made it a couple of times with only Falconer's Flight. It's a great recipe

This malt bill will support just about any mix of American hops you throw at it. I've made it a couple of times with only Falconer's Flight. It's a great recipe

The last time I made it I used Falconers Flight and it was incredible. Just never really tried Mosaic. But it seems like it should be fine. Ill let ya know how it goes!

This just fished up. Have it in a party pig at 53 degrees for a cask ale. Very goid and 6.5%abv

This will be my next brew. I have a couple of ounces of cascade but a ton of centennial. Would a mix work well if I adjusted for the ibu difference? Thanks.

brewing this today. I only have 2 lbs of vienna so I tossed in an extra pound of mo. I also threw in .5lb of wheat that I had lying around. also didn't have and crystal 60l so Im using 40l.

My citra / cascade version with this grain bill came out amazing!! Unless im looking for something really dry and clean, this will likely be my baseline for any pale ale or ipa.

ronjonacron said:
My citra / cascade version with this grain bill came out amazing!! Unless im looking for something really dry and clean, this will likely be my baseline for any pale ale or ipa.

What was your hop schedule? I have over a pound each of citra and cascade. I need to start using it.

What was your hop schedule? I have over a pound each of citra and cascade. I need to start using it.

pulled up my notes and hop schedule looks like this

Boil Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [6.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 20.7 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 8 -
0.25 oz Citra [12.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 4.9 IBUs
0.25 oz Cascade [6.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 2.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Cascade [6.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 1.9 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [12.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 12 3.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [12.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 14 2.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Cascade [6.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 13 1.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [12.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Cascade [6.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 15 0.0 IBUs

I also dry hopped an ounce of the citra and 1/2 ounce of cascade.

It's definately mango / tropical in the nose, the citra certainly takes the forefront.

Beersmith has IBUs listed at 36.7. Hope you enjoy!

Side note, check your AA%. (IIRC) Mine were a full point higher on the default than what was listed on both of my hops.

Edit - FWIW, i used denny's fav 50 (WYeast 1450) on this also.

Bottled this yesterday. It was so good bro-in-law and I chilled one and drank in the evening. First brew to be that good un-carbed!

This was first time all-grain as well (after several successful large PM's). Other firsts - full boil, and temp-controlled fermenting chamber. Did a 1.5L starter with WLP007 (love this yeast), mashed at 154, fermented at 64 for 2 weeks, bumped to 69 and dry-hopped for the 3rd week.

Slightly modified the recipe - extra half pound each of MO and Munich, and crystal was cut in half (1/4 oz of each), and also replaced flameout addition with 1 oz of cascade for hop-stand at 170 deg for 45 min.

We got this baby to 7% ABV (completely unexpected!). Apparently our BIAB / batch sparging yields pretty good efficiency...something to account for next time I suppose. All in all, not a bad problem to have. The alcohol is a little warm right into the bottles, but the malt-forward grain bill and a good amount of hops blend so perfectly together that it tastes very balanced. Now the 2-3 week wait to try them fully carbed. Not sure if this came out quite the same per original specs (especially per the slight recipe mods), but thanks Yoop for a delicious recipe!!:mug:

Brewed this yesterday. Swapped out the c20 & c60 for 1lb of c40 because it's what I had. Went with citra the whole way. Very excited to try this! Thanks for posting.

Brewing this one for the first time today. Mashed at 153 with about a one degree drop over 45 minutes. Pre-boil gravity pegged Beersmith's prediction of 1.046. Using all homegrown cascade, so we'll see where the bitterness ends up. My dried cascade 2013 crop has a bit of a grassy aroma to it in the bag, but as soon as the boil started that went away.

I made a 12g batch for my annual UM-OSU football party and it's likely to be the highlight of the day. The game might not be noteworthy, but this is one heck of a good beer. Now if I can avoid drinking it so it lasts until the party...

Just mashed in on a five gallon batch of this. I am substituting summit hops for the 30 minute addition since my LHBS did not have enough cascade. First time using my PJ inspired rims system. Everything is going swimmingly :)

This is my 5th batch of this ever so Tasty Brew. 1 st time bottling it. I did an 11 gal batch and I'm going to bottle 5 gals.
I usually keg most of my beers but recently started to bottle some also. The past few batches of bottles, don't seem to be carbonated enough, OR to my liking? Here is what I do. Primary for 14 days @ 64* f in a temp controlled freezer with a thermo well. Then still in temp controlled freezer dry hopped for another 7 days, then I cold crash for 3 days @ 36* F.
I go from freezer @ 36* f to bottles, give or take a few degrees. Beersmith says to use 2.20 ozs of corn sugar for 2.4 vols. I used the 36* for the temp, because it says "the temp at Bottling" I wanta use table sugar this time. Thats the amounts I've used of corn sugar in the past and I wasn't happy with the carbonation. What Amount does everyone else use? AND What Temp do you use for the "Carbonation Tool"?

:tank:

You will need about 4.2 oz of corn sugar. Use room temp of 68 degrees for the "bottling temp" number. Not sure of the conversion to table sugar from corn sugar. Try a google search for that.

Just bottled a 3 gal batch of this recipe last night. First all grain attempt - mashed grains in a water cooler lined with paint strainer bag. This is so tasty going into the bottle. I can't wait for it to be carbed and ready to drink!

I have made 3 batches of this so far using all cascade. My bud said if he was in a bar and I put this on the counter he would think it was a big named brand of pale ale. Awesome. My only every other brewday beer.

Im dry hopping my second batch of this using citra/cascade. And i think i used a lighter crystal, this will be in my rotation fora t least every 3 brew days or so, if not every other. Great beew, tons of flavor, bmc guys love it, its an all around win.

I bottled the 5 gal batch using 2.5oz of table sugar using the 36* temp . I checked about 10 different priming calculators that I googled. 8 outa 10 said to use the temp. at time of bottling. So thats what I went with. I read also about using the highest fermentation temp or highest temp the beer has been at. I also read about the amount of CO2 that would be in a Lower temp such as the 36* mine is at, after crash cooling and at bottling time. I'm afraid of the bottle bombs using the higher temp and more sugar amounts. I'll let you know how it carbs up.
I kegged 5 galls too, I'm going for a taste right now ! :mug:

Thanks !

I think the point of taking into account the temperature is to factor how much co2 from fermentation is still in there, the warmer it got the more wouldve been released from solution, when you cool it down it doesnt absorb anymore more because it cant get through your airlock. Or maybe i just made that up. Who knows.

I think the point of taking into account the temperature is to factor how much co2 from fermentation is still in there, the warmer it got the more wouldve been released from solution, when you cool it down it doesnt absorb anymore more because it cant get through your airlock. Or maybe i just made that up. Who knows.

You're right. Really what they're asking you is what is the highest temperature your beer reached after active fermentation has completed. This will indicate how much residual Co2 is in your beer. If you subsequently cold crash your beer, I don't think it will reabsorb any Co2 from the headspace unless it's under pressure.

You're right. Really what they're asking you is what is the highest temperature your beer reached after active fermentation has completed. This will indicate how much residual Co2 is in your beer. If you subsequently cold crash your beer, I don't think it will reabsorb any Co2 from the headspace unless it's under pressure.

If you read the notes for the brewer's friend priming calculator they are ambivalent about what temp to use because of the theoretical possibility that CO2 is reabsorbed when crash cooling. Assuming your headspace volume is not very large, I think most of the CO2 will be lost out of the airlock and only a small amount is available to be reabsorbed when crash cooling. I've crash cooled several times and I used the fermentation temp (ie, 64) when calculating priming sugar and carbonation has been good. I've only noticed that carbing takes longer after crash cooling, because more yeast have dropped out or gone dormant. http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

Back on topic, I finally got around to brewing this recipe and it's great after only 9 days in primary without even adding dry hop yet. Thanks for the great recipe Yooper!

Just brewed this on my Birthday yesterday and it went very well. For all you PM brewers out there, I replaced the 5lb Marris Otter with 3lb LME and 0.67lb DME (based on the converting ratios of 0.75lb LME/lb grain and 0.67lb DME/lb grain). I mashed the other 6lbs of grains (Munich, Vienna, and Crystals) at 152-154 for 60min's, then tea bagged @ 170 x 10min's. OG was 1.056-1.057 which I was happy with!

.I have not seen on this great thread, a lot of pictures of your finished product in a glass,

Here's mine from the keg.

I may have subbed a 1/2 lb of crystal 40 for lack of something and maybe 8 oz of Munich?

I love this color

Fermented for 2 weeks in primary,dry hopped for 10 days cold crashed for 3 days @ 34f, Racked to keg chilling in UN insulated side of garage on floor, gets cold enough here in nj. All Cascades, Love it. this is the 5th batch I made now, Everyone loves it... I bottled the other 5 gals this time.. Thank You again Yooper

20140215_224029.jpg

20140215_224050.jpg

I brewed a similar grist based off this back over a year ago I think.. Maybe even 2 years ago.. I had a friend today ask me if I brewed it again..

Used FF 7C's exclusively and it was indeed a damn great beer.

Thanks to yooper for this recipe. This is a awesome tasting beer. Should of made 10gallons.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hopefully someone can make some sense of this for me 'cos I've searched and don't seem to get a definitive answer.

For a 10 gal batch of Yoopers Finest, my OG is coming in at 1,065 (efficiency 85%). I want it at 1,058 as per recipe.

Do I just scale down all my grains by 10%.

Was this which got me 1.065
4 kg pale malt
450 gram biscuit (subbed 10% for Maris Otter effect)
2.8 kg Vienna malt
2 kg Munich malt (Sub Munich type 1)
450 gram crystal 20L (Sub Cara Red)
450 gram crystal 60L (Sub Cara Munich 3)

Will this get me 1.058
3.6 kg pale malt
405 gram biscuit (subbed 10% for Maris Otter effect)
2.52 kg Vienna malt
1.8 kg Munich malt (Sub Munich type 1)
405 gram crystal 20L (Sub Cara Red)
405 gram crystal 60L (Sub Cara Munich 3)

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Having a almost 2 year old brew of this now. I have like 1 left now and I cant beleive I still have one since it was a 1.5 gallon batch. The maltyness in aroma and taste really shines in this beer kind of like an amber. Impressive how it holds up in semi-stable basement temps. For some reason the caramel malts are really standing out now. Usually it seems my beers just kind of dry out or possibly become more oxidized. Hmm. Didn't even use oxy caps either. Great beer, Ill brew it again,not soon enough though.

Back