Wyeast 3726-PC Farmhouse Ale, Experience?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdr

Reaction score
Has anyone used this strain recently? Only available from July-September. I figure I'd give it a go for a change, but just want to know what to expect. Can't find too much on this. Thanks!

This is my 2nd favorite strain, after 3724. It gives off complex esters and spicy phenols resulting in a balanced saison. Plays very well with brett too. I used this strain as a co-pitch last year with Brett Drie and it is probably my favorite beer I've done to date.

I've done a number of brews with it. Generally pitch around 70-72 and start ramping up 2 degrees a day after a couple days and end in the mid 80's.

I've noticed a lot of banana coming out of the airlock and a bit of bubblegum in the flavor. I've also had people describe the spiciness as clove-like.

For smaller beers (1.046-1.52) I've gotten FG's below 1.010, but not as dry as reported by some that use 3711.

Update: Brew came out good. Pure pilsen malt, lightly hopped with lubliner to let the yeast shine. It doesn't go as dry as 3711, but makes a tasty brew. Went from about 1.065 to 1.006. Also fermented out quickly and had it in bottle and fully carbed in less than 2 weeks. Get lots of citrus, banana, bumblegum, and some farmhouse belgian funk, but in a more subtle way than other saison strains. It seems less refined and more funky which I enjoy.

That got drier than I've gotten it to go. Did you say you mixed it with some dregs?

Agree with you on its profile. I've always gotten a bit of bubblegum with it

3726 is my favorite saison strain, especially if I ramp up the temperature early. I usually pitch at ~70 and ramp up about 4-5 degrees a day for 3-5 days. For smaller beers I start a bit higher and ramp a bit quicker. 1.006 is about where I get it to finish most of the time, but I mash low, add sugar, and end around 85-90 deg most of the time with this yeast.

I have found that the yeast plays well with hops like Citra, Galaxy, Amarillo, Mosaic, NS, Moteuka, etc.

That got drier than I've gotten it to go. Did you say you mixed it with some dregs?

Agree with you on its profile. I've always gotten a bit of bubblegum with it

No dregs. Added 1 pound sugar, mashed long and low (around 148). Fermented in a warm closet. Also forgot to mention that it came out relatively more clear than some of my other saisons.

You may find that the flavor changes a bit over the first couple weeks. I've found that the banana fades and gives way to more interesting peppery flavors after it's been in the keg for a little while.

3726 is my favorite saison strain, especially if I ramp up the temperature early. I usually pitch at ~70 and ramp up about 4-5 degrees a day for 3-5 days. For smaller beers I start a bit higher and ramp a bit quicker. 1.006 is about where I get it to finish most of the time, but I mash low, add sugar, and end around 85-90 deg most of the time with this yeast.

I have found that the yeast plays well with hops like Citra, Galaxy, Amarillo, Mosaic, NS, Moteuka, etc.

What would happen if you pitched it straight at 85-90f?

Never tried it... I'd guess there would be some fusel alcohols produced, but with this yeast's love of temp it might not be so bad. On small beers, I'll start it at 75-80 (depending on OG), ramp up to 85-90 within a couple days, and I don't get fusels.

I just brewed a brown ale with the Imperial Yeast version (B56 Rustic) at the low end of the fermentation range. Pitch at 65F, raise to 68F, finish at 72F for attenuation. With this schedule I got 70% AA in a 1.053 wort. The Imperial description says it "compliments complex maltiness" so I used some local Munich, Crystal 150, and crystal rye. Super cherry in the aroma; plum and raisin in the flavor. The bubblegum is definitely there, which is something I was hoping to avoid with the low temps.

I kegged half and bottle conditioned half. We'll see what comes out of a month of cold keg vs a month of bottle conditioning.

70% seems low for that yeast, I got almost 90% in a low gravity (1.044) pale saison

70% seems low for that yeast, I got almost 90% in a low gravity (1.044) pale saison

I agree! But 72-76% is what is listed on the Imperial yeast site. The ferment was cool and the can was old. I made a starter but probably an under pitch.

I won't be washing and reusing it. It's a yeast I'm curious to explore.

Does anyone know is it's the same as white lab WLP566? Mr Malty claims it's an alternative DuPont. I'm lined up to do a split batch 565 and 566 to see them in action and compare.

Rustic is supposed to be the Blaugies strain and 566 is a different isolate from dupont. I am pretty sure they don't taste anything alike, but I haven't used 566 in a couple years

I've sadly never been impressed with Saison D'Epeautre or the other Blaugies beers. But I feel they come around too infrequently for their quality or freshness to be known.

The Vermontoise was pretty great, but redeemed by the hops.

I feel like the new way forward is to isolate and culture a local wild yeast that has saison characteristics. A local place around Philadelphia harvests a fresh batch every year for their Belgian-inspired beers. There is an isolate kit I got somewhere online. Next stop is a microscope.

I agree about the D'Epeautre and the Vermontoise. Next time I head up to philly, I will try and hit up forest& main

Back