Syracuse, ny - round 6 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scallywag
abrew2u

Thanks so much guys - you rock!! :D

I feel like we are getting major props this time around, really appreciate it!

twoguns i saw a recipe w a 157f mash and thought wtf? that is why I asked I was thinking g151

It's all part of our plan to make sure this never ends!
:mug:

Just kegged my first porter with .75 lbs Brown Malt from the last buy. Man that stuff definitely has a unique flavor. It jumped out at me on the first sip but I started to dig it after a few. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this tastes carbed up and not mixed with yeast in a measuring cylinder!

You guys are bad influences!

Going to redo my brew rig and make it a little more permanent. Right now its a rig i roll out of the garage to brew, but it can be a pain sometimes and adds time since I have to run water and power to it. Welp I cleaned an area of my garage and going to build it there. Just got done running copper for a cold water supply out to my garage, which was a pain since I had to run it over my foyer where there is not much access... but I got it all in. Tomorrow going to start building the rig and the drain system. My idea is to make a drain pan under everything to make it easy to clean the rig.

423265_597052894267_21600820_31996844_1983000953_n.jpg

Did I really just miss out on this buy? I guess I have to stay on top of things next time..

you just missed it. However we will have another in probably 3-5 months; look for a Syracuse bulk buy thread to start in the next couple weeks

Just finished up my first lager, a Pilsner with with Saaz and Spalt Select. I decided to use both, the original recipe called for Saaz (of which I had 4 ounces), so I figured I could mix it up a bit and use some Spalt Select (of which I have 2 pounds). The carboy is happily resting on the basement floor, which is currently 53 degrees. If it starts heating up, I can get it into a refrigerator and hook up a temperature controller, but I'm hoping that isn't necessary.

copyright1997 said:
Just finished up my first lager, a Pilsner with with Saaz and Spalt Select. I decided to use both, the original recipe called for Saaz (of which I had 4 ounces), so I figured I could mix it up a bit and use some Spalt Select (of which I have 2 pounds). The carboy is happily resting on the basement floor, which is currently 53 degrees. If it starts heating up, I can get it into a refrigerator and hook up a temperature controller, but I'm hoping that isn't necessary.

What yeast are you using?

What yeast are you using?

WLP840. My first attempt using liquid yeast, and first attempt using a starter. I can't plan my life two days in advance, so I like using dry yeast on recipe's not requiring a starter. :) I know I could have/should have used a German Lager strain, but this was what I had and I wanted to use it as it's been sitting in my refrigerator for a while.

Hopefully, I will be able to harvest the yeast and eliminate the need.

WLP840. My first attempt using liquid yeast, and first attempt using a starter. I can't plan my life two days in advance, so I like using dry yeast on recipe's not requiring a starter. :) I know I could have/should have used a German Lager strain, but this was what I had and I wanted to use it as it's been sitting in my refrigerator for a while.

Hopefully, I will be able to harvest the yeast and eliminate the need.

I hope you made a nice big starter! Good luck with the brew.

Had my neighbor over to try some of my lager, her really liked it and he said it reminded him of the beer he drank in germany when we was in the service. I didn't even tell him it was a pilsner urquell clone. That felt pretty good. Going to be hard to not sample this one for another couple weeks :D

Payment info updated on post #2 - let me know if anything is missing so far.

Thanks!

Here's the last one I made, I've really enjoyed it towards the middle/end of the keg. You need to like Fuggles, I enjoy them and find them different in a juicy sort of way...

Boil Size: 6.25 Gal
IBU's: 34.27
Color: 11.7 SRM
ABV: 5.9

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
10.00 lbs 86.96 % Pale Malt (2 Row) US 60 mins 1.036
0.50 lbs 4.35 % Briess Carapils 60 mins 1.034
0.50 lbs 4.35 % Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L 60 mins 1.033
0.25 lbs 2.17 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 60 mins 1.034
0.25 lbs 2.17 % Amber Malt 60 mins 1.035

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 28.66 Palisade 60 mins 8.00
0.50 ozs 4.00 Fuggles 15 mins 4.50
0.50 ozs 1.61 Fuggles 5 mins 4.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg Nottingham Ale Yeast White Labs 0039

I went rouge on this one a bit. However here is what I ended up with (fermenting already in less than 12hours from pitching with washed yeast direct pitched in)

11G batch
Est Original Gravity: 1.041 SG
Est Final Gravit0y: 1.013 SG
Bitterness: 26.3 IBU
Est Color: 11.8 SRM

Amount Item Type % or IBU
15 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 82.19 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.48 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 5.48 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.11 %
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 2.74 %
60.25 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 19.0 IBU
46.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 7.2 IBU
61.60 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
18 grams English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast-Ale

Mashed at 152F

We were a little high on the gravity so efficiency was up. Also, we had to substitute fuggle in for the bittering hop because I ran out of EKG.

I saw the post regarding the official pick-up location, but I missed the post regarding the official pick up times. What date(s)? I assumed some Saturday coming up, but what is the time window? Also, I have to work this Saturday Feb 18th. Will there be any times Friday evening?

We haven't posted an official pickup time yet. This coming Saturday will likely be the target for the majority of pickups. Otherwise, the plan right now is to pick up during business hours when the shipping and receiving department is open. There's a potential I might be able to transfer some of the stuff to my house to facilitate off hours pick ups but the final logistics are still wait and see until i can see how it works out at the shop. Details will be posted as soon as they're known.

We haven't posted an official pickup time yet. This coming Saturday will likely be the target for the majority of pickups. Otherwise, the plan right now is to pick up during business hours when the shipping and receiving department is open. There's a potential I might be able to transfer some of the stuff to my house to facilitate off hours pick ups but the final logistics are still wait and see until i can see how it works out at the shop. Details will be posted as soon as they're known.

Thank you. Sounds good, I'll keep my eye out for the good word. Saturday morning may work, it just depends on when things get started. I'm certainly not looking to inconvenience anyone.

If someone could add me to the round 7 spreadsheet and put me down for the second half of the Maris otter split It would be much appreciated!

Hi- I am new to the whole group order thing and am confused as to what grains some of the numeric codes stand for. I was able to figure some of them out but the rest I have no clue about. Is there a chart available to help me decipher this? I thank you in advance.

BD-MOPA- Marris Otter
BZ-HDBR- ?
BZ-CRPL- ?
BZ-LCRM- ?
GW-C40- ?
GW-C60 - ?

Hi- I am new to the whole group order thing and am confused as to what grains some of the numeric codes stand for. I was able to figure some of them out but the rest I have no clue about. Is there a chart available to help me decipher this? I thank you in advance.

BD-MOPA- Marris Otter
BZ-HDBR- ?
BZ-CRPL- ?
BZ-LCRM- ?
GW-C40- ?
GW-C60 - ?

if you take a look on the first page you can find the link to the catalog to download. From there, the easiest way to find something would be to press cntrl+F and type it in (its a huge PDF)

BD-MOPA- Marris Otter
BZ-HDBR- ?
BZ-CRPL- ?
BZ-LCRM- ?
GW-C40- ?
GW-C60 - ?

Go to the first post and download the catalog In it, each of the grains has a code for ordering. The first part is the maltster, the second part the type of grain.
BD-MOPA = Baird's Malt, Maris Otter
BZ-HDBR = Best Maltz, Heidelberg Malt
BZ-CRPL = Best Maltz, Caramel Malt Pils (Carapils)
BZ-LCRM = Best Maltz, Caramel Malt Light
GW-C40 = Great Western, Crystal 40
GW-C60 = Great Western, Crystal 60

Also note that while most of the sacks are 55#, some (like Great Western) do 50# sacks.

Also note that we cannot order Briess (not that it matters that much).
Hope this helps.

see my comment on the new grain buy thread

Since its no longer the bottom comment on Group Buy # 7 this might make it easier than tabbing back and forth and let everyone know!

STATUS OF SNY GRAIN BUY #6

FYI - looks like the grain was supposed to be delivered today (twogunz is out of the office on travel so he will report back to us later). It will not be possible to count or divide the splits completely for at least a couple days. However that means that the grain will be ready for SAT pickup.

Twogunz will be posting more information on that in the coming days.

See everyone Saturday!!!

I will double post this on both threads

If your name is on this list you need to either:

1. Make Payment
2. Tell me how to handle your credit

If your price owed is in the read it means that you cannot pick up your grain yet. If you send me a personal check you cannot pick up grain until I see it clear in my bank account.

Let me know if you have any questions

Paid.jpg

Pickup Update:
We hope to have the final details ironed out tonight and will post an update later or in the morning. We're striving to have things worked out so that people can pickup their grain whenever the shop has business hours starting Friday or so (they have hours Mon-Sat). If those hours do not work out, we can try to accommodate something else on a case by case basis if necessary.

For those of you who are having somebody else pick up your grain, can you please post again to indicate that. I know of one situation already but would like an update so that we can presort everything appropriately.

Thanks, and stay tuned for final details.

You guys can keep my credit and split it between you guys also westo2 is picking up my grain thanks again

I will double post this on both threads

If your name is on this list you need to either:

1. Make Payment
2. Tell me how to handle your credit

If your price owed is in the read it means that you cannot pick up your grain yet. If you send me a personal check you cannot pick up grain until I see it clear in my bank account.

Let me know if you have any questions

Keep the extra from my tab. Thanks for the hard work.

For those of you who are having somebody else pick up your grain, can you please post again to indicate that. I know of one situation already but would like an update so that we can presort everything appropriately.

More likely than not, CBK will be picking up my order along with his.

Back