Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Hazelnator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocco336

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 2206
Yeast Starter
Optional
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
2+ L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 50*
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
56 days @ 35*
Tasting Notes
Very malty, with lots of bread flavor and hazelnuts and a touch of chocolate.
5# Pilsner Malt (2.0 SRM)
2# Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
2# Light Munich (10.0 SRM)
2# Dark Munich (20.0 SRM)
4oz. Chocolate Wheat (400.0 SRM)

1oz. Spalt- 60 min. @ 3.9% AA
.25 oz. Hallertau- 15 min. @ 3.9% AA

Wyeast 2206, Bavarian yeast

1 Tbs. Irish Moss- 10 min.

0.67 oz. Hazelnut extract at kegging/bottling

Mash:
22.5 qts. of water at 137 to target of 132 for 35 min. Decoct 4 qts of mash, boil and return to hit 146, hold for 20 min. Decoct another 4 qts of mash, boi and return to hit 158 holding for 20 min. Mashout at 168 for 10 min. Sparge with water @ 168 to collect 6.75 gallons of wort

Note: I didnt sparge since was pressed for time, just got what I could which probably killed my efficiency a bit. Still came out pretty fermentable seeing as

Ferment at 50*F for 10 days then perform diacteyl rest for 2 days and rack to secondary and lager @ 35*F until the FG is hit. Took 2 months for me to get it where I wanted. On kegging, added .67 oz Hazelnut extract.

Taste: Liquid bread with chocolate hazelnut accents. Very smooth and no hop presence. One of my favorites yet!

Used yeast that I had bought a year ago and was very worried it wouldnt be up to it, but I smacked the pack and let swell for 3 days while aerating ALOT. Had signs of fermentation within 5 hrs! Since it was cold enough to do so, I even fermented this bad boy without refridgeration, it's almost as though I was meant to brew this one!

how did this come out...any notes? have you brewed again? any pics. i have a bunch of this yeast and need something to do.

Thanks
Tim

Back