Curse of the Bottle Bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbg96

Reaction score
So, I'm upstairs peacefully reading the paper when from downstairs there comes a muffled "thump." "My, what might that be," SWMBO and I wonder. She goes down to check - hey, I'm drinking coffee...I'm busy - and first place she looks is the unplugged freezer where the bottles are. Sure enough, one of 'em has gone POW.

Now, sure, it wasn't exactly a BEER bottle. It was an empty syrup bottle. I'd run out of beer bottles and had enough beer after the last go-round for another bottle - what to use, what to use...AH! Empty syrup bottle! It's twelve ounces, it'll work!

Back to the present, the bottle split essentially in half right about halfway up. Two pieces with a little third quarter size piece that came flying off. The cap was still on and the bottom was intact.

Made for an interesting morning, that's for sure. I'm hoping that because it was a bottle not exactly made to handle internal pressure that the others will be safe.

I'm hoping that because it was a bottle not exactly made to handle internal pressure that the others will be safe.

That would be my guess. Any bottle conditioned beer is under pressure. The glass can withstand it, to an extent.

A plastic syrup bottle is not strong enough, wouldn't you agree?:D

Back