PSA: Foolproof Stuck-Ferment-Fixer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow you were not kidding - the Belle Saison yeast made quick work of 10 gravity points and dried out this beer quite nicely! This stuff really is a beast - vigorous bubbles in the carboy within an hr of pitching and krausen within a few hrs. 4 days later it is slowing down, and I suspect it will finish around 1.009, which is just perfect. The flavor contribution from the second pitch is pretty minor, and actually I quite like it. Good to learn about the pitfalls of maltotriose as well as a possible fix for future fermentations.

Thanks, HBT!

Wow you were not kidding - the Belle Saison yeast made quick work of 10 gravity points and dried out this beer quite nicely! This stuff really is a beast - vigorous bubbles in the carboy within an hr of pitching and krausen within a few hrs. 4 days later it is slowing down, and I suspect it will finish around 1.009, which is just perfect. The flavor contribution from the second pitch is pretty minor, and actually I quite like it. Good to learn about the pitfalls of maltotriose as well as a possible fix for future fermentations.

Thanks, HBT!
Good to hear it worked and Belle was apparently not killed by the CDC-1 proteins! That vitality starter you made surely helped getting her off to a good start.

Just remember, slow and steady fermentations all the way down to final gravity are the best. Anytime you tinker with beer oxygen can get in, potentially oxidizing the beer over time and killing hop flavor and aroma.

Maltotriose is a good sugar, we use her properties to our advantage. The pitfall was likely your high mash temps, along with a few other things that all lined up against a successful finish in the fermentation.

Good to hear it worked and Belle was apparently not killed by the CDC-1 proteins! That vitality starter you made surely helped getting her off to a good start.

Just remember, slow and steady fermentations all the way down to final gravity are the best. Anytime you tinker with beer oxygen can get in, potentially oxidizing the beer over time and killing hop flavor and aroma.

Maltotriose is a good sugar, we use her properties to our advantage. The pitfall was likely your high mash temps, along with a few other things that all lined up against a successful finish in the fermentation.
Are the proteins secreted by killer strains only imparted to the beer if the yeast are actively fermenting or growing? One notable part about pitching the CBC-1 is that literally nothing happened... No visible activity whatsoever. Did they never have the chance to kill because they never woke up?

Thanks for the reminder to not tinker. There has still been plenty of CO2 action so I think I am okay this time.

Are the proteins secreted by killer strains only imparted to the beer if the yeast are actively fermenting or growing? One notable part about pitching the CBC-1 is that literally nothing happened... No visible activity whatsoever. Did they never have the chance to kill because they never woke up?

Thanks for the reminder to not tinker. There has still been plenty of CO2 action so I think I am okay this time.
The toxins are produced while the yeast are metabolically active. Given that there probably wasn't much there for them to eat since CBC-1 can't utilize maltotriose they probably went active for a bit then went dormant.

I just revived a stuck Timothy Taylor Landlord clone that was at 1.024 using this method in a stainless steel conical fermentor.
I used the cake from a cwtch clone and the gravity went down to 1.005!
The only issue is that the landlord has picked up a hint of the hop, though i think it's going to be nice.

Back