Apfelwein no good??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I made a gallon of Apfelwein, and put in 8 ounce coke bottles. I've since given to 3 people to try, and none of them cared for it. I'm wondering what could be wrong.

I drank it several times and dont' mind it, but I have no idea what others are expecting/tasting. I don't generally drink any wine, preferring beer, so my experience level is low. This is what I can describe from my tastings:

It's light. not much taste, actually. Some apple aftertaste.
Fairly clear, though not perfectly clear.
Someone described it as having a "Musty" taste, whatever that means.

My recipe went like this:
3/4 of half-gallon of cider, the rest in plain apple juice.
1 pkg of Ale Yeast (I did not have any wine yeast handy)
Ferment for weeks

I mean, it's a pretty simple process! Any ideas?

Yeah doesn't sound like you made Apfelwein, but it also sounds like there shouldn't be anything wrong with your cider. Anything thing seem or smell weird during fermentation? Any weird residues, scents, or growths?

It sounds like the most likely thing is you made dry cider, and no one who's had it knows what to expect.

Homercidal said:
My recipe went like this:
3/4 of half-gallon of cider, the rest in plain apple juice.
1 pkg of Ale Yeast (I did not have any wine yeast handy)
Ferment for weeks

I mean, it's a pretty simple process! Any ideas?

Yes, it is a very simple process, but you did not follow it. You made something entirely different.

Try the recipe as written and give it some time to age. Lots of folks drink it right away after 6-8 weeks, but I recommend bottling some and putting away for a few months. Try one each month and note how it changes.

It gets better each month. Your next batch will be better.

I hear people say "musty" when they are talking about "yeasty" sometimes and don't know to say "yeasty." How old is this stuff, and was it crystal clear (or, at least, as clear as the juice was before pitching) when you bottled it?

TL

It wasn't prefectly clear. It was very dry, and I'm pretty sure none of these people like dry wines, so that may be part of it.

I'll say that I liked it enough to drink it, and I dont' like wine.

I did not follow the original recipe, because I used what I had on hand. I do have a few montrachet packets now, and planned on doing 5 gal batch soon. I just wondered if the description I gave sounded similar to Apfelwein.

I thought adding cider might help up the apple flavor, but of course I have no way of comparing. I dont' think it had a yeasty taste at all. I don't even know what "musty" means.

Oh well, it was only a 1 gallon batch, and I did not add any sugar, but I will for the 5 gal. I will make. If I had that keg system, I could force carb the stuff, and that might make some of them like it more.

I wish I had more friends who are descriminating beer drinkers. I'm having a hard time pleasing these guys. I hope my American Wit (next time I'll use Belgian yeast) will taste good to them. I tasted good to me when I bottled it.

Ok, 5 gallons of apple juice on the shopping list, and I'm all set to make some more apfelwein (oh, the long wait!)

Back